AIR2 hose length

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve had an AIR2 donated to me, in the days before having an octopus was standard.
I guess my attempt at humor didn't go well...:wink:

Not saying that it can't work, but is this something that you would currently suggest and practice?

Maybe I'd donate it to my wife so she had to get in close...

Imo at least in the last few decades, i believe most people would not buy one with the intention to donate in an emergency.

I am sorry if this a commonly repeated thread, I am brand new here and haven't learned to navigate things well yet. I have just received a new scubapro Nighthawk 2 bc with AIR2. I am looking for recommendations on how to lengthen the hose. It's fine for inflating/deflating but is pretty short for using as secondary. I know this is an emergency use situation and not common but it would be much more comfortable with more freedom of movement. Thanks ahead of time

I use an Air 2 on most of my BC's and BP/W's. In general, it isn't all that comfortable to use one, and your head mobility might be somewhat constricted. These may be minor issues, you have to practice using it.

If the lp inflator hose is too short, you can buy a longer one. Also using a flexible braided hose for the inflator hose goes a long way toward making the use of the air 2 more comfortable.

If you are thinking of lengthening the corrugated inflator hose, then you want to be careful that you only lengthen as much as is essential, because (as mentioned previously) it will get in the way. Also, if you do that, you will almost certainly need a longer LP inflator hose.

I’ve had an AIR2 donated to me, in the days before having an octopus was standard.
I guess if you like spooning with your dive buddy :rofl3::wink:

I use an Air 2 on most of my BC's and BP/W's. In general, it isn't all that comfortable to use one, and your head mobility might be somewhat constricted. These may be minor issues, you have to practice using it.

If the lp inflator hose is too short, you can buy a longer one. Also using a flexible braided hose for the inflator hose goes a long way toward making the use of the air 2 more comfortable.

If you are thinking of lengthening the corrugated inflator hose, then you want to be careful that you only lengthen as much as is essential, because (as mentioned previously) it will get in the way. Also, if you do that, you will almost certainly need a longer LP inflator hose.
Also, make sure you read my linked reference earlier in the thread to make sure you have the correct coupling that makes an inflator hose safe as a breathing device.

With all that said, I did my initial training class with a traditional setup and an AIR2 to learn both. When I started researching my own BC, I asked similar questions about the AIR2 and got the tough love noobie whipping from the seasoned crew here. So now, I have a Scubapro S620Ti as my primary, on a long flex hose that routes under my right arm to a fixed 45 degree coupling and a Scubapro G260 as my backup on a shorter flex hose hanging from a bungie necklace from my neck.

I am sorry if this a commonly repeated thread, I am brand new here and haven't learned to navigate things well yet. I have just received a new scubapro Nighthawk 2 bc with AIR2. I am looking for recommendations on how to lengthen the hose. It's fine for inflating/deflating but is pretty short for using as secondary. I know this is an emergency use situation and not common but it would be much more comfortable with more freedom of movement. Thanks ahead of time

When I use my AIR 2 with my Scubapro Classic Black Stab Jacket (XL, purchased c. 1993), I use the original LP inflator hose that came with the AIR 2.

To use my AIR 2 with my Halcyon Pioneer 27# Wings (for single cylinder), I needed a shorter LP inflator hose (since with this configuration the cylinder and 1st stage ride several inches higher up my back). So, I measured to determine the length I needed, and then special-ordered a custom-length Scubapro hose from my LDS.

If I ever needed an AIR 2 LP hose having a length different than the two hoses I already have, I would simply special-order it from a Scubapro dealer.

ETA: Pic added. Standard-length AIR 2 hose mounted to 1st stage. Middle hose: Custom-length AIR 2 hose for use with my Halcyon Pioneer Wings. Top Hose: LP inflator hose that shipped with my Halcyon Pioneer Wings.

rx7diver

Attachments

• AIR2_Hoses_20211107.jpeg
    AIR2_Hoses_20211107.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 63
If the lp inflator hose is too short, you can buy a longer one.

Also, make sure you read my linked reference earlier in the thread to make sure you have the correct coupling that makes an inflator hose safe as a breathing device.

When I use my AIR 2 with my Scubapro Classic Black Stab Jacket (XL, purchased c. 1993), I use the original LP inflator hose that came with the AIR 2.

To use my AIR 2 with my Halcyon Pioneer 27# Wings (for single cylinder), I needed a shorter LP inflator hose (since with this configuration the cylinder and 1st stage ride several inches higher up my back). So, I measured to determine the length I needed, and then special-ordered a custom-length Scubapro hose from my LDS.

If I ever needed an AIR 2 LP hose having a length different than the two hoses I already have, I would simply special-order it from a Scubapro dealer.

ETA: Pic added. Standard-length AIR 2 hose mounted to 1st stage. Middle hose: Custom-length AIR 2 hose for use with my Halcyon Pioneer Wings. Top Hose: LP inflator hose that shipped with my Halcyon Pioneer Wings.

rx7diver
The OP is talking about the corrugated hose, not the inflator hose.

There is no need to ...

If Scubapro will make you a dedicated AIR 2 LP hose, I think you will prefer it over a LP hose with an AIR 2 adapter attached. The adapter solution is a bit bulkier and a bit heavier, and is a more complicated (more failure points) system.

In my attached pic, the top hose is a Scubapro "Super Flow" AIR 2 dedicated hose. This is the hose I use with my Pioneer 27# Wings, shown in my previous post in this thread. I special-ordered this hose from my LDS about ten years ago, shortly after I purchased my SS Freedom Plate, IIRC.

The bottom hose is a more recent purchase (maybe 2 years ago?). It, too, was a special-order custom-length AIR 2 hose, ordered from my (the same) LDS. I was surprised when it arrived this way. I much prefer the top hose for the reasons already stated.

rx7diver

AIR2_Hoses_20211107b.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom