AIR2 and SubAlert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gasgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have already searched the board for AIR2 so no need to go there... (I bought it before I discovered Scubaboard, OK?).

Ideally, I would like to have a signalling device for both underwater and on the surface. It appears there isn't a good single product for both purposes and someone on the board had suggested buying one of each. I'm afraid I might find it confusing to have so many different buttons in an emergency situation... seems to violate the KISS principle.

My concern is that I already find it awkward with just the SubAlert to use my Air2 regulator. Can I buy a longer corrugated hose and is this a good idea? Also, I find my low pressure hose seems to be sticking out too much.

Just thought I would ask for some opinions since the dive store that sold me the Air2 in the first place never mentioned any of the cons... only the pros. Is it worth the downsides to have the upside of a communicating device?

My BCD came with a plus ll and the option of the short hose or the long hose. I went with the long hose So I would assume that a person could in fact get a longer hose.

jafo123

I had the same issue when I bought my "sub-duck" (underwater signaling device). It took up a few inches of length so then my LP inflator hose was way too long. So I bought a new LP hose that was 4 inches shorter and installed it. Now it fits perfect; however, if I ever lose my subduck or it develops a leak (not real likely), I will have to keep my other hose around in my spare parts kit just in case. I'm not sure the new hose would reach without the subduck inline.

I love the subduck though..it's worth it to me...I'm tired of trying to grab my knife and bang my tank to get someones attention. Now I can just hit a button.

Codeman00:
.I'm tired of trying to grab my knife and bang my tank to get someones attention. Now I can just hit a button.
Why not use your light to signal your buddy? It's far less invasive than having to listen to noise.
Out here, we do every dive with lights and we use them for communication.

Jafo123:
My BCD came with a plus ll and the option of the short hose or the long hose. I went with the long hose So I would assume that a person could in fact get a longer hose.

jafo123

I already find that the short hose (which is what I presume I must have because the secondary regulator just reaches now) will dangle down somewhat when I am in a horizontal position. The proximal end of the hose is kept in place by a velcro shoulder strap on the BC.

Do you need to clip the end of the longer hose to a D-ring? If so, what specifically do you use because the inflator/ AIR2 end is pretty bulky.

Codeman00:
I had the same issue when I bought my "sub-duck" (underwater signaling device). It took up a few inches of length so then my LP inflator hose was way too long. So I bought a new LP hose that was 4 inches shorter and installed it. Now it fits perfect; however, if I ever lose my subduck or it develops a leak (not real likely), I will have to keep my other hose around in my spare parts kit just in case. I'm not sure the new hose would reach without the subduck inline.

I love the subduck though..it's worth it to me...I'm tired of trying to grab my knife and bang my tank to get someones attention. Now I can just hit a button.

Thanks for your feedback. It's nice to hear an opinion from someone who has used it. Does anyone else use this type of device and would you recommend/ not recommend it?

OE2X:
Why not use your light to signal your buddy? It's far less invasive than having to listen to noise.
Out here, we do every dive with lights and we use them for communication.

I agree there are lots of other ways to signal your buddy. I guess I was thinking of it more as an emergency device.

I had recently come across a story about a diver sitting on a platform watching other divers doing their checkout. Apparently, he was entangled in some way and was not able to communicate his problem to anyone and he ultimately drowned.

Also, I'm starting to plan a trip to Cozumel in May and given the nature of drift diving, I thought it would be nice to have an auditory signal as well as the safety sausage.

Does anyone have any experience using it for emergency situations and is it effective for any reasonable distance? Or is this just one of those toys you can do without?

My comments are for underwater. I'm not familiar with the story that you mentioned. My question though, is where was this guys buddy?

I think think the dive alerts are a wise idea for above water. I always carry a saftey sausage and have been thinking about adding a dive alert for boat diving.

OE2X:
My comments are for underwater. I'm not familiar with the story that you mentioned. My question though, is where was this guys buddy?

For the sake of not getting a reputation for being too long-winded, I took the liberty of not stating all the facts of the story.

This was actually an experienced solo freediver who was sitting on an underwater tree branch at around 30 ft. Other scuba divers saw him but did not realize there was an emergency situation. Of course, these circumstances are totally different than my own diving practices but I wondered if an underwater signalling device might have saved his life.

Not to go too off topic - but:
If he was a solo free diver then he wouldn't have an air source to use a signaling device. It is likely that he didn't have a light either.

Not to trivialize a death, but this sort of thing is generally beyond most rec diving. While it may be compared to solo diving, it likely would not apply. A solo diver would be prepared with a knife and would likely have enough back gas or stage gas to extricate themselves from this sort of thing. Also it would not be in the mindset of a solo diver to have this sort of device as they would no longer be truly solo diving and be completely self dependent.

Back
Top Bottom