AIR2 and SubAlert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X:
Why not use your light to signal your buddy? It's far less invasive than having to listen to noise.
Out here, we do every dive with lights and we use them for communication.

Well, most of the time when diving in quarries, my buddy and I are usually looking for fish, etc..and sometimes I might see something that he/she doesn't that I want him/her to see. A lot of times they aren't close by my side and/or looking the other direction. Sometimes if I don't get the signal to them quick then the fish is gone, etc. I'd spend too much energy and aggravation trying to get a light out and on...or trying to get something to bang against my tank (my knife doesn't have a metal blunt end on it). During a class, a tech diver had a subduck. He showed me how it worked and I was impressed with it. I don't plan to use it all the time, but its nice to have, and it might save a life one day.

OE2X... all your points are well taken.

Sorry, maybe I'm confusing the issue by trying to extrapolate from this accident... I was imagining this poor guy not being able to signal to anyone he needed help. His circumstances doesn't really apply, but it did get me thinking about what if it were me...

What I'm really asking is for opinions on these signalling devices. In my mind, I'm thinking it might not be bad to have it just in case of emergency. But then, I'm worried about adding extra clutter. I'd like to hear from people, especially if they have one, whether or not they use it/ love it/ hate it.

I have one attached to my airsource (Seaquest Air 2). Love it, and have used to to signal people underwater and above water. Its best used when you can visually see the person you are trying to signal. I did locate someone who quacked me and wasn't in visual range. We were using scooters and one person from our group went in the opposite direction but finding the person may be more a matter of luck than actual sonic direction perception underwater.

It is one more thing that could fail.

It does cause the BC hose to not fit into the nice channel that it used to fit into the Airsource since the quacker pushes the hose out a bit.

It great, get one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom