Air2/SS1 nipple with 3/8-20 thread??? Does it exist?? Machinist Needed??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiznutaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of a niche item that I'm looking for that I'm not sure even exists and may need to have machined. I have an Atomic inflator that instead of using a standard 3/8-24 thread, uses a 3/8-20 thread for the air nipple. I want to put an air2/SS1 style nipple on the inflator, but I can't find any with a 3/8-20 thread.
To sum up... I need the nipple on the left, with the threads on the right (3/8-20). Anybody got something?

20240525_143415.jpg

Considering basically, that these nipples never ever really need to be removed nor oring replaced
I would suggest that the miniscule difference in thread would not make even an iota of difference
if you just screwed it in, or screwed it out a few times

What butchery!
or is it
What butchery?
or is it
What, butchery?

There is an adaptor to connect a SP/atomic hose to a standard inflator

I carry one anytime I have an air 2 hose in case there is a problem with the octo inflator and I just put a regular inflator on.

Considering basically, that these nipples never ever really need to be removed nor oring replaced
I would suggest that the miniscule difference in thread would not make even an iota of difference
if you just screwed it in, or screwed it out a few times
Possibly, but I'd rather not go that route. Cross threading an expensive inflator feels wrong lol.

There is an adaptor to connect a SP/atomic hose to a standard inflator
I carry one anytime I have an air 2 hose in case there is a problem with the octo inflator and I just put a regular inflator on.
Indeed! I also already have a couple of them. I'm just trying to take the adapter out of the equation when changing between the SS1 and AI inflator.

Yeah I had that problem once, Seaquest

in case there is a problem

I totally agree, very very wrong

Cross threading an expensive inflator feels wrong

But is it really cross threading or just readjusting the cut of the thread in some pliable plastic

Ok when I find myself with some of your 5/16 delrin knobs I grab my M8 stainless bar with a
couple of grooves cut in for the chips, and twist away to fit My M8 manifolded tanks threads

Now not the same but it's not as different as grass and the sky that only meet at the horizon

I was under the impression that the flow demand of the Air2 regulator required a larger bore than the traditional LPI BC fitting. Could be wrong - it might work fine.

Update: sorry I misread your post. The adapter Lex mentioned will solve your issue .​

I was under the impression that the flow demand of the Air2 regulator required a larger bore than the traditional LPI BC fitting. Could be wrong - it might work fine.​
I'm going the opposite direction. Putting the higher flow fitting on an inflator so that I don't have to use an adapter if changed between the air2/ss1 and inflator.

Or, since the fittings are now threaded instead if press fit/crimped on the hoses, I'd probably just carry the fitting to swap out....

I'd just have the adapter handy...
Or, since the fittings are now threaded instead if press fit/crimped on the hoses, I'd probably just carry the fitting to swap out....

Indeed, both of these suggestions make it all operable, but does nothing to address the main problem: I want it! All streamlined and no adapters or swapping hose ends. As a gear snob - I want it!

It would be blasphemy to ruin this sexiness with an adapter!
20240524_203032.jpg

Back
Top Bottom