Air Turks and Caicos Experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a trip to Grand Turk and wondering if Air Turks and Caicos keeps a close eye on baggage. The official policy is one 44 lb check bag and one 10 lb carry on per person. $1/lb for over weight. With diving and camera gear, I am way over that limit. Wondering if anyone knows if they really check closely. I have seen restrictions before but it only mattered in a few places. I normally have a 50 lb checked bag, a 35 lb roller and a 30 lb backpack...all of which has about 6 lbs of personal items, the rest dive/camera equipment. A Scott's vest or similar looks to be in my future but still wondering about the weighing part.

Anyone have experience with this airline? No searches on WP seemed to turn anything up for that airline.

I traveled to G.T. a few yrs ago and do not remember any issues with weight but I carried much less camera gear in those carefree days.... before the dark side....before the DSLR. :eyebrow:

Thanks for any comments.

Can't speak to Air T&C but we use Caicos Express. We had an extra bag and paid only $25. Going this Dec to GT. Who are you diving with? We are going with Smitty @GT divers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Have not decided who to dive with yet. Used Oasis Divers last time and liked it but that was quite a few yrs ago.

Leave tomorrow for Salt Cay, understand 50 pounds allowed.
Anything over is .88 cents per pound!!!

I was over weight on my last trip to Grand Turk, but managed to get on the puddle jumper with all my extra stuff as carry-on and did not have to pay any extra charges. However, the problem we had was that they did not put our checked bags on our flight, instead leaving them for the following flight. So, we had to wait about 3 hours in JAGS McCartney for everything to show up. The Governor of Turks and Caicos was on our flight, so I think that probably put a wrench in things. The trip back to Provo was fine, no problems.

Either way, I would certainly make a point to request that all of your luggage be put on the plane you are traveling on when you check in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom