Air storage question (valve)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have three Bauer air storage cylinders (rated to 4500 pounds) and yesterday I noticed that one of the cylinder's valves is now freely turning (it won't turn on or off). I can isolate the cylinder, but I am not sure if the bottle is empty or full (If I had to guess, I would say that it is pressurized). The cylinder is fairly new (less than five years old) so I would like to replace the valve and not the entire cylinder. How do I bleed off the pressure safely so that I can replace the valve? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the valve has a burst disc on it unscrew it just enough to start a leak and eventually it should empty.

I have three Bauer air storage cylinders (rated to 4500 pounds) and yesterday I noticed that one of the cylinder's valves is now freely turning (it won't turn on or off). I can isolate the cylinder, but I am not sure if the bottle is empty or full (If I had to guess, I would say that it is pressurized). The cylinder is fairly new (less than five years old) so I would like to replace the valve and not the entire cylinder. How do I bleed off the pressure safely so that I can replace the valve? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Before you back out a safety check if it's just the valve handle that's spinning on the stem.

If so you **might** be able to tighten the handle (nut on top) or remove the handle and turn the stem with vice grips. Probably going to need a new valve....

Be careful, LOTS of potential energy in a full 4500 psi bank bottle.

Tobin

Before you back out a safety check if it's just the valve handle that's spinning on the stem.

If so you **might** be able to tighten the handle (nut on top) or remove the handle and turn the stem with vice grips. Probably going to need a new valve....

Be careful, LOTS of potential energy in a full 4500 psi bank bottle.

Tobin

I second this.
It is highly unlikely the actual valve spins freely but very likely the handle on the valve stem has stripped loose.

If the valve has a burst disc on it unscrew it just enough to start a leak and eventually it should empty.

Thanks, it does have a burst disc. I will give it a try (I was afraid that it might rocket off into space).

I second this.
It is highly unlikely the actual valve spins freely but very likely the handle on the valve stem has stripped loose.

The valve handle and the valve stem are both turning at the same rate. I did take a wrench to the nut on top of the handle (that is attached to the valve stem) and it turned freely in either direction without turning the valve on or off.

Last edited:
The valve handle and the valve stem are both turning at the same rate. I did take a wrench to the nut on top of the handle (that is attached to the valve stem) and it turned freely in either direction without turning the valve on or off.

Oh well, just be very careful then.

Nothing is ever easy. The burst disc appears to be frozen in place. Even after applying WD-40, it won't budge under a wrench. I could tap the wrench with a hammer, but I am afraid of backing out the disc too far.

Loosen the hose slightly.

Ah, the sound of slowly escaping air...thanks guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom