Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Facebook does indeed want ID for new accounts these days.
I just made a fake account to check this out.
Step 1 - create gmail account with no ID or real information, named "Fakey McFaker" (apparently very common, as I had to get numbers after the name on the gmail address).
Step 2 - create facebook account with no ID or real information - they did flag the name, but once I went by "John Mcfaker" I was able to setup the account. It is now a live profile on facebook, and I input no true information at any time.

I just made a fake account to check this out.
Step 1 - create gmail account with no ID or real information, named "Fakey McFaker" (apparently very common, as I had to get numbers after the name on the gmail address).
Step 2 - create facebook account with no ID or real information - they did flag the name, but once I went by "John Mcfaker" I was able to setup the account. It is now a live profile on facebook, and I input no true information at any time.
In contrast to the obviously fake name John Mcfaker, no one, and I mean no one, will ever suspect Brock O'Lee is fake. Winning!

Doubles with a AI on the right post and SPG on the left is my setup. use the AI throughout the dive and reference it to the SPG 3-4 times during a dive. Makes typical pressure reading easy and comparing them provides additional error detection during the dive.
That is my setup as well. I dive with dual perdix, only one AI, and have them set for different information the AI one displays all the air info, the non AI displays depth and deco information.

When I go SM, I will have my gas info from each tank on my wrist with mechanical SPG on each tank as well.

With the SPG on one tank and the AI on the other I have a check that the manifold valve is open.

If two computers is considered good redundant, why is two means of knowing gas left not considered good redundant?

That is my setup as well. I dive with dual perdix, only one AI, and have them set for different information the AI one displays all the air info, the non AI displays depth and deco information.

When I go SM, I will have my gas info from each tank on my wrist with mechanical SPG on each tank as well.

With the SPG on one tank and the AI on the other I have a check that the manifold valve is open.

If two computers is considered good redundant, why is two means of knowing gas left not considered good redundant?
Because it doesn't gain anything? If you know your gas, knowing your gas twice doesn't gain anything. If you don't know your gas, you turn the dive. The second gauge means nothing.

In a recreational setting, a second SPG/transmitter would only give me the remainder of that dive. A second computer will keep me from having to sit out at least an entire day of dives (which is likely to be several dives). Severity of consequence is higher.

With a single SPG/transmitter failed, the dive is over early and I ascend with more gas than I had planned. I guess I'm OK ending things then -- I'd probably fixate on why it died and not enjoy myself anyway.

EDIT: I forgot this thread was for a tech dive, but the "severity of consequence" still applies.

In a recreational setting, a second SPG/transmitter would only give me the remainder of that dive. A second computer will keep me from having to sit out at least an entire day of dives (which is likely to be several dives). Severity of consequence is higher.

With a single SPG/transmitter failed, the dive is over early and I ascend with more gas than I had planned. I guess I'm OK ending things then -- I'd probably fixate on why it died and not enjoy myself anyway.
Why would you have to sit out?

Why would you have to sit out?
I was referring to the unknown tissue loading in a repetitive dive situation. Grabbing a rental computer for the afternoon dive is asking for trouble as it lacks that information. Recommended practice is to sit out 24 hours to better align tissues with the assumptions of a "fresh" computer.

In some cases, one could run tables to estimate, but that has the same limitations of using them in the first place: they overestimate exposure on multilevel dives and therefore limit successive dives.

A backup computer is insurance that allows your repetitive diving schedule continue.

I was referring to the unknown tissue loading in a repetitive dive situation. Grabbing a rental computer for the afternoon dive is asking for trouble as it lacks that information. Recommended practice is to sit out 24 hours to better align tissues with the assumptions of a "fresh" computer.

In some cases, one could run tables to estimate, but that has the same limitations of using them in the first place: they overestimate exposure on multilevel dives and therefore limit successive dives.

A backup computer is insurance that allows your repetitive diving schedule continue.
I mean…. You’re doing the same dive as your buddy, right?

Between planning your dives beforehand, tables, and your buddy, there’s really no reason to sit out.

@PfcAJ, I forgot this thread references a technical dive where planning and execution of the dive is typically more rigorous. I'd agree there are more cases where a computer dying wouldn't halt successive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom