Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my biggest annoyance. On the fathom (in sm bailout configuration) I had to install the transmitter on a hose that hangs between the can and the oxygen tank because I'm unable to directly screw it in. The large adjustable opv on the reg gets in the way on the apeks regs and you can't screw them both in. Its an annoyance because it's adding failure points. On my wife's in bm config, we can direct thread

It's a huge annoyance. It never shows itself until you're in the water. I had a horrible 18 months of diving last year and the year prior. Almost every dive I'd either have a hose leak, a reg lose ip, a hp hose failure, a spool failure, or a valve handle leak. It got to the point I would drive up to dive and just get so annoyed I'd go home or do something else. It was a rough year. It happened so often I really questioned why the hell I just didn't dive in a single al80 with a jacket bc or quit diving entirely.
I empathize and sympathize. Slipping on a AL80 and just drifting along on the coral is pretty damn nice.

I empathize and sympathize. Slipping on a AL80 and just drifting along on the coral is pretty damn nice.
Isn't it?

A few years ago I spent three weeks NDL diving in Palau. Each day a boat would pull up to the dock, and I would find 3 tanks at my seat, with my gear next to it ready to be assembled. (They would have assembled it for me if I had wanted.) A few minutes later I was ready to go. We would reach the dive site, cruise along gently for an hour or so, and then climb back on the boat and take the few minutes needed to be ready for the next dive.

After that I returned to the reality of home diving in a deep sinkhole, spending what seemed like hours setting up my gear before finally climbing into the semi-murky water and then spending what seemed like hours breaking the gear down. WTF am I doing, I wondered. That led to my WTF theory in which our desire to participate in an activity is determined in large part by the WTF ratio--the amount of WORK that had to be done to gain enough FUN to make it worthwhile.

We are not communicating. You said you had a spool in your Wetnotes. That implied to me you were intending to change your spool on the spot, perhaps on the steps, while wet. So I asked if you had wrenches in your wet notes too. I guess what you meant was you were still ashore, not in the water, and had all your tools available to you. In that case, how did you know your spool was leaking, and what difference does it make where you store your spare spool?
I'll ignore your slam on my diving level. Good luck ever reaching it.
I carry an adjustable wrench, spool, multito with pick, and assorted orings. I’ve done that stuff in-water too.

Handy to have.

I carry an adjustable wrench, spool, multito with pick, and assorted orings. I’ve done that stuff in-water too.

Handy to have.
You carry the tool into the water and carry them on the dive? Fresh water, I presume?

You carry the tool into the water and carry them on the dive? Fresh water, I presume?
I do.

I’ve got a little baggie of a few common culprit o rings, adjustable wrench, mulitool with pick, Allen keys, Schraeder tool, hand wheel slotted screwdriver, Philips, and a flathead that fits in 2nd stages to adjust the orifice. That plus a few zip ties will solve most anything.

Saltwater dives are generally short enough that I don’t really plan on tinkering with stuff underwater.

Isn't it?

A few years ago I spent three weeks NDL diving in Palau. Each day a boat would pull up to the dock, and I would find 3 tanks at my seat, with my gear next to it ready to be assembled. (They would have assembled it for me if I had wanted.) A few minutes later I was ready to go. We would reach the dive site, cruise along gently for an hour or so, and then climb back on the boat and take the few minutes needed to be ready for the next dive.

After that I returned to the reality of home diving in a deep sinkhole, spending what seemed like hours setting up my gear before finally climbing into the semi-murky water and then spending what seemed like hours breaking the gear down. WTF am I doing, I wondered. That led to my WTF theory in which our desire to participate in an activity is determined in large part by the WTF ratio--the amount of WORK that had to be done to gain enough FUN to make it worthwhile.
That's about all I do :) Visit Boynton Beach

I'm not following. You need more than the spool to change the spool, like two wrenches. Are they in your Wetnotes too? I'd much rather change the battery on a PPS transmitter than change a spool. But, just like checking an isolator before diving, don't you check battery conditions on your computer and your lights? Why not on your transmitter, too?
I carry a stainless steel wrench in my pocket. I've used it underwater in a cave. I've had other people borrow it from me on the surface. It's a Seadog, it's a very useful tool and even has a bottle opener.

I do.

I’ve got a little baggie of a few common culprit o rings, adjustable wrench, mulitool with pick, Allen keys, Schraeder tool, hand wheel slotted screwdriver, Philips, and a flathead that fits in 2nd stages to adjust the orifice. That plus a few zip ties will solve most anything.

Saltwater dives are generally short enough that I don’t really plan on tinkering with stuff underwater.

Gotta up your game to titanium stuff. But I carry less for open water because aborting is usually more practical.

Add me to the tool list. I carry a titanium adjustable wrench, plus another titanium tool that has a screwdriver end to adjust tank hose clamps. I keep both bolt snapped in a drysuit pocket. I haven't had to use them underwater, but I've used it on the stairs and on a boat.

I carry a stainless steel wrench in my pocket. I've used it underwater in a cave. I've had other people borrow it from me on the surface. It's a Seadog, it's a very useful tool and even has a bottle opener.
SeaDog seems fine.

But the sea spanner? *chefs kiss

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom