Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far as I can tell, its the same argument as for recreational diving. Convenience of seeing how much you have left in your backgas on your wrist. There is also the reliability thing I guess.

There is also the ability to get more accurate and in depth gas usage with long term statistics and trends. Like how much more gas do I use in a high flow cave vs a low flow cave, or how much do I use in the penetration of a high flow cave vs the exit. When I start scootering my scooter usage vs swim usage. Considering the planning that goes into tech diving having more accurate information is a great bonus.

Somethings just aren't for everyone, if you don't see the benefit it is no skin off my back.

My guess is that you don't know who Steve Bogaerts is either. I try to follow people like Natalie, a number of Steves, and others, as I pick up valuable information from them. And they all are all approachable, as long as you are not an anti-Facebook curmudgeon, you will be able to chat with them online.
I've heard of Steve Bogaerts but I don't know him. Even if it was him, who provided a testimonial, the same issues apply. Can't have a back and forth conversation with a testimonial. And I happen to hate Facebook. With a passion.

Yep, some first stages don’t allow a transmitter to screw on directly. I swapped out mine for ones with an accessible hp port so that i could. One of my rebreathers has a nerd controller. I haven’t had issue with it losing connection. My back mount unit doesn’t have a nerd, but i could definitely see it having a connection issue due to distance if it did. It has no issue keeping synch with a wrist mount perdix.
Just curious, but have you tried fixing the spg? (Not letting it rotate)

There is also the ability to get more accurate and in depth gas usage with long term statistics and trends. Like how much more gas do I use in a high flow cave vs a low flow cave, or how much do I use in the penetration of a high flow cave vs the exit. When I start scootering my scooter usage vs swim usage. Considering the planning that goes into tech diving having more accurate information is a great bonus.

Somethings just aren't for everyone, if you don't see the benefit it is no skin off my back.

Size of tanks (or tank factor). Starting pressure. Ending pressure. Average depth.
Been calculating gas consumption for ages this way. Sure, you can dissect actual gas consumption on different segments of the dive. If you have utility for that data. I personally never dive solo so I never base my plan on actual gas consumption either kicking or scootering. I base it on how much gas I need assuming two divers sharing and both are stressed.

Size of tanks (or tank factor). Starting pressure. Ending pressure. Average depth.
Been calculating gas consumption for ages this way. Sure, you can dissect actual gas consumption on different segments of the dive. If you have utility for that data. I personally never dive solo so I never base my plan on actual gas consumption either kicking or scootering. I base it on how much gas I need assuming two divers sharing and both are stressed.

Do you do that for every single dive? If you do you are an exception. OTOH I have AI data from every single dive.

This type of planning doesn't override gas matching or planned turn pressures, just allows you to see how much deco gas is required, and if you can do a lost gas on your remaining third. When I did it I could tell you almost exactly where I would turn the dive. I remember doing it once I said I would hit turn pressure around the time we hit parallel lines. And I turned the dive before I put the jump in because I was nearly at turn pressure.

Just curious, but have you tried fixing the spg? (Not letting it rotate)
They don't rotate, they don't get touched. I have them on my unit merely because standards dictate it. I dove with button gauges and/or port plugs in them for five years before I started teaching with it.
I don't know what it is about the rebreather, but hp leaks seem to be a constant. In OC diving, I have broken many gauges and had spools leak, but nowhere even close to nearly as often as with a rebreather.

Do you do that for every single dive? If you do you are an exception. OTOH I have AI data from every single dive.

This type of planning doesn't override gas matching or planned turn pressures, just allows you to see how much deco gas is required, and if you can do a lost gas on your remaining third. When I did it I could tell you almost exactly where I would turn the dive. I remember doing it once I said I would hit turn pressure around the time we hit parallel lines. And I turned the dive before I put the jump in because I was nearly at turn pressure.

Different people have different needs. My computer has every dive logged and average depth for each dive. At least for every dive I've done on this particular computer.

I don't have a particular need or desire to check gas consumption on every dive. However, when I am curious, I jot down the ending pressure. For at home diving, starting pressure is almost always the same + or - 100psi.

I concede that having that information automatically captured for you makes it easier. But just for backgas since I think the consensus here is that stage / deco bottles, it doesn't make sense to put transmitters on.

For deco / stage bottles, I have been on boats were these things move around when the boat is in transit. No way I would put a protruding transmitter on a stage / deco reg. Especially so since for these kinds of tanks, I don't know what utility they give me.
AFAIK, the lone benefit for AI on a deco bottle would be tracking one's actual consumption rate. "Hrmph...I breathe down my 50 percent disproportionately faster than my 32 percent... Wonder why that is..." Info like that would be interesting, but it's not really vital.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom