Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta up your game to titanium stuff. But I carry less for open water because aborting is usually more practical.

This line of discussion started with - AI transmitters are more reliable than the SPG/hp hose/spool combo. I think your comment was that you keep a spare hp spool in your wet notes. And an adjustable wrench on your person when you dive.

It never occurred to me that a diver might resolve a bubbling SPG underwater by changing the spool. Do people actually do that?

Even if that was doable in the "warmer" waters in Florida and Mexico, I think that is a tough ask in temperate or cold waters where divers have thick gloves/dry gloves and where fingers get cold fast.

I'm not following. You need more than the spool to change the spool, like two wrenches. Are they in your Wetnotes too? I'd much rather change the battery on a PPS transmitter than change a spool. But, just like checking an isolator before diving, don't you check battery conditions on your computer and your lights? Why not on your transmitter, too?
Technically you only need one wrench

This line of discussion started with - AI transmitters are more reliable than the SPG/hp hose/spool combo. I think your comment was that you keep a spare hp spool in your wet notes. And an adjustable wrench on your person when you dive.

It never occurred to me that a diver might resolve a bubbling SPG underwater by changing the spool. Do people actually do that?

Even if that was doable in the "warmer" waters in Florida and Mexico, I think that is a tough ask in temperate or cold waters where divers have thick gloves/dry gloves and where fingers get cold fast.
It’s doable in Fl. I’ve done it.

The spool IS unreliable, but it’s not a show stopper. Leaving your AI computer at home when all you’ve got is a bunch of transmitters is a showstopper. A dead battery could very well be a show stopper. The occasional spool leak is small potatoes to fix.

My calculations for what I want involve “what’s going to prevent me from completing the dive”, and really, spools aren’t it. I’ve NEVER been stopped by a spool. I’ve seen a plenty of computers with dead batteries or not present at the dive site.

Technically you only need one wrench
Maybe, but most SPGs need a wrench to hold the bottom nut in place (so you don't twist the Bourdon tube inside) along with the wrench to loosen the hose.

The spool IS unreliable, but it’s not a show stopper. Leaving your AI computer at home when all you’ve got is a bunch of transmitters is a showstopper. A dead battery could very well be a show stopper. The occasional spool leak is small potatoes to fix.

My calculations for what I want involve “what’s going to prevent me from completing the dive”, and really, spools aren’t it. I’ve NEVER been stopped by a spool. I’ve seen a plenty of computers with dead batteries or not present at the dive site.

My argument would be that anyone that doesn't plan for a dead battery probably shouldn't be doing tech diving. I have batteries, tools, and even a charger for my Teric. And even if push comes to shove I have a set of SPGs in my kit. I can replace a transmitter or computer battery in the similar amount of time as it would take to replace the spool in a SPG. Even charging my Teric enough to dive (50-60%) would take maybe 30 minutes.

But that is neither here nor there, I think OP got his questioned answered, while AI isn't universally accepted it has made penetration into the tech/cave community.

My argument would be that anyone that doesn't plan for a dead battery probably shouldn't be doing tech diving. I have batteries, tools, and even a charger for my Teric. And even if push comes to shove I have a set of SPGs in my kit. I can replace a transmitter or computer battery in the similar amount of time as it would take to replace the spool in a SPG. Even charging my Teric enough to dive (50-60%) would take maybe 30 minutes.

But that is neither here nor there, I think OP got his questioned answered, while AI isn't universally accepted it has made penetration into the tech/cave community.

Yeah, I think my question was ill formed. People were already using AI on tech configurations when I got into tech diving. It doesn't surprise me that there are more people who have gone in that direction. I guess what I wasn't sure about was, what was missing before that AI provides for tech divers. So far as I can tell, its the same argument as for recreational diving. Convenience of seeing how much you have left in your backgas on your wrist. There is also the reliability thing I guess.

I dunno who she is. I dunno who anybody is.
My guess is that you don't know who Steve Bogaerts is either. I try to follow people like Natalie, a number of Steves, and others, as I pick up valuable information from them. And they all are all approachable, as long as you are not an anti-Facebook curmudgeon, you will be able to chat with them online.
Whereas here, we can have a dialog on what people think and why. I can ask questions. Others can offer counterpoints, etc.
Scubaboard is a good resource, but it is incomplete. Many of the most prolific divers simply don't have time for this platform.

Those are often paid posts.
While I am guessing you don't mean to imply that Natalie is selling her principles, given how busy she is with exploring new routes, teaching, living her life, it is not unreasonable for her to be compensated for her time to write articles. They do take a fair bit of time to write properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom