Air integration for tech dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Backmount tech diving, I don't understand the value of AI.
As I understand the discussions in recent years, with AI technology having matured in reliability, it comes down to a matter of personal preference more than anything else. Some people just prefer having their tank pressure on the computer screen. It doesn't mean they have any objection to using an SPG; they just prefer AI. Other people just seem to enjoy "technology"; if there's a mechanical solution and an electronic solution to something, they'll take the electronic solution. I haven't seen anyone argue AI is objectively more advantageous than an SPG for backmount tech diving.

I think it is still best to know how to run a dive with an analog gauge. The day you show up and the transmitter battery is dead, or the transmitter got smashed, or whatever reason you pull out your backup analog gauge, you need to know how to run a dive with it.

I do find value in digging through post dive logs. Not just average gas consumption, but specific areas of the dive. What is gas consumption in calm warm deco or dark, cold, high current?

I've gone AI with the rebreather. Ditched the chest mounted gauges. With a rebreather you really don't check gasses very often. So a mini display on the NERD. Post dive you can really see how much you blow through on decent, and how little while while holding a steady depth.

It is easier/faster/safer to glance at your wrist rather than reach for an SPG, especially in a cave where illuminating the gauge may be problematic. It is also nice to now what is in BOTH tanks, in case of isolator closure or roll-offs.

Problematic how? You are fishing...

Problematic how? You are fishing...

Interesting. If illuminating a gauge in a cave is problematic for someone, maybe cave diving isn't for them. Just a thought.

Edit: I take that back. In a full silt out, maybe one cannot read their gauge. But then, air integration on your computer would not help.

I think it is still best to know how to run a dive with an analog gauge. The day you show up and the transmitter battery is dead, or the transmitter got smashed, or whatever reason you pull out your backup analog gauge, you need to know how to run a dive with it.

I do find value in digging through post dive logs. Not just average gas consumption, but specific areas of the dive. What is gas consumption in calm warm deco or dark, cold, high current?

I've gone AI with the rebreather. Ditched the chest mounted gauges. With a rebreather you really don't check gasses very often. So a mini display on the NERD. Post dive you can really see how much you blow through on decent, and how little while while holding a steady depth.
if someone does not know how to use a analog gauge even after years of only using transmitters. THEY SHOULD NOT BE DIVING!

It is easier/faster/safer to glance at your wrist rather than reach for an SPG, especially in a cave where illuminating the gauge may be problematic.
Okay, I take back what I said.
I haven't seen anyone argue AI is objectively more advantageous than an SPG for backmount tech diving.

How is running a dive with AI vs. a SPG any different other than being able to reach for the SPG to look at it? They're both showing you your remaining gas pressure...

Doubles with a AI on the right post and SPG on the left is my setup. use the AI throughout the dive and reference it to the SPG 3-4 times during a dive. Makes typical pressure reading easy and comparing them provides additional error detection during the dive.

Edit: I take that back. In a full silt out, maybe one cannot read their gauge. But then, air integration on your computer would not help.
I was working on a team exploring/opening a cave. We had a 2 person team exploring at the known end of the cave, and I was working nearer to the opening to move rocks to open it up more. I was being careful, but I was stirring up some silt. The visibility was just good enough for me to work. There were no safety concerns--I was near the opening and the flow was good enough to clear silt before too long.

All of a sudden that visibility dropped to absolutely nothing. I reached for the nearby line and waited to see what was happening. I could see the Shearwater computer near my face clearly, but it wasn't mine. I could not see the arm to which it was attached, but I could read its values easily.

What had happened was that the exploration team was exiting, bringing all their exploration silt with them. One of them had passed me completely without my knowing it, and the other was doing a deco stop right next to me without my knowing it. I could not see him at all, but I could read his computer easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom