air integrated vs. pressure gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I'm still diving with my US Divers Monitor 1 (it's an oldie, but works well for me), and it is my understanding that this model is difficult to get serviced. Because of this, I expect that I'll be in the market for a computer in the future. My question; do you find a significant advantage in an air integrated computer over one with an air gauge?
Thanks,
JAW

Yes and no.

After you have been diving long enough to get a good deal of experience, you get to know just how much milage you can get out of a given spg reading at a given depth with due regard to statey and deco stops. Alternatively you will be doing dive plans based on your depth and sac rate along with rule of thirds air management and the air integration features of a computer will not be used.

But for a novice diver, the sort of immediate feedback that air integration gives you can accellerate the experiential learning process of understanding and developing feel for your air consumption at various depths.

In many cases too, air integrated computers will show you air time remaining or no deco time remaining which ever is less. So if your air consumption is low, you will hardly ever see an air time remaining number unless you are in deco mode.

On the plus side, air integrated computers tend to be shorter and lower profile than a traditional 2 or 3 gauge console with a computer in it.

That's what I was thinking.
I don't need the computer to tell me how much air time I have. I was just wondering if the air integrated had some other benefit beside that.
Thanks,
JAW

Back
Top Bottom