Air hog - need advice pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all - very helpful. Some of this stuff i do -i always try to stay above the group so as to be more shallow and use less air. However, i will definitely keep an eye on my trim (i think it's ok - i usally poke around reefs with my arms folded in front or grasped behind my back, but who knows). Also, i do like to swim. As Jorgy said, i just like to - it's fun, keeps me warm, and i don't feel particularly tired doing it. But perhaps it is more insidious than i thought.

On the other hand, maybe as Pity says i may just have superhuman needs for oxygen:)

what do people think about not following each exhale with an inhale. do you pause in between breaths as on land?

Hi Sandtiger Steve,

First of all, from what I've heard, "skip-breathing" (or breath-wait-breath-wait) actually carries with it the risk of hypercapnia (buildup of CO2) which leads to hyperventilation...something that will certainly *not* be good for air consumption. :) It's also not generally considered a wise idea.

Alright, that said it is part of my job to be an "idea person", so all I ask is that you open-mindedly put these ideas up for consideration, and go from there...

1) You may want to have someone tell you if you're pointed "nose down" while diving the majority of the time. This position tends to make your cardiopulmonary system hoard more CO2, and can lead to excessive breathing.

2) It *may* be worth it to have a medical cardiopulmonary stress test. It will give you metrics (and a starting point) on where your current consumption under stress (and not under stress) begin. This, of course, has a hefty expense associated with it, so it might be something you should have your general practitioner refer you for...if not, a friend of mine's quote comes to mind, "We spend thousands of dollars on our cars each year for diagnostics and repair, but we cringe when asked to pay for something as basic as a stress test for our own bodies"...Obviously, this is up to you. :) An easy test though is a "lung capacity test" which I think you can do with little more than a straw and a stopwatch (if what I recall from high-school science class still stands).

3) Yoga - excellent source of relaxation. You may also consider some martial arts (Tai Chi is most likely a good candidate, but others work as well) specifically emphasizing the need to breath and relax. When you can breath calmly in a sparring situation, you'll be as calm as you ever will in diving. :)

4) There are a number of breathing and relaxation techniques out there ranging from visualizing the colors of the rainbow in order while relaxing specific parts of your body, to simply thinking about it consciously. Regardless, being totally stress free and relaxed will have a dramatic impact on your SAC. After you're prepped, clear your head before the dive and start your breathing exercises...it may be useful. Any leakage in your mask that is abnormal may be a sign of pent up, and unaddressed stress, so be keen on this and other similar things (buoyancy tweaking, facial expressions, etc.).

5) Obviously, smoking and sheer body mass are contributing factors to air-consumption. That's enough on that topic.

6) You should consider buying your regulators...for safety reasons (used to the equipment) and because you can practice with it more and tune the system to your individual needs.

7) Not very realistic, but living at altitude will increase the number of red blood cells in your system, and allow you to breath less frequently at lower altitudes (such as sea level and below). Those of us that live at altitude (and I am fortunate enough to be one of those folks) have a *very* slight advantage when diving in the ocean.

The bottom line though is you'll want to tune the overall situation, equipment, and your body to meet your diving needs, never be concerned about being the guy to call the dive, and find a buddy who is roughly at your SAC rate. Whether you spend 30 minutes or 2 hours underwater, you'll still be underwater (that's kinda the point, isn't it?).

Good luck, and Enjoy kicking up those bubbles!

-S

Last edited:
I am only a small guy and I have spent the past few months tuning things like bouyancy and breathing.
I keep my breathing as long, slow deep breaths and always try to stay as calm and relaxed as possible.

Alot of the more experienced divers have told me, that breathing technique is something that only gets better with experience and time. Many of the older dive buddies I have had are much better on air then me, simply because of this.

I find if I hit the road and run I do two things. Build my leg muscles and increase my cardio endurance!

Like others have said. If I dive Jupiter with a stiff current I can go forever just flying with almost no effort. If I am looking for bugs or just being the U/W otter lost in play I burn through more gas.

I am 39 (40 in June) 6'1" and 200 ish pounds. my SAC will vary dependant on the dive from .74 in cold water chasing bugs to .31 crusing along in warm water.

Good SAC calculator HERE

Since it's CO2 that triggers the need to breathe, try exhaling more deeply. This should eliminate more CO2 and reduce your dead air space. It's also rather calming.

Are you using a thick enough wetsuit?

Living in Wisconsin, I happily dropped into 50-60 degree (F) water with only a 3mm suit on for years and seldom felt cold, but I burned through a tank like you (SandTiger Steve) claim. It wasn't until I started putting on a hood and upgraded to an 8mm wetsuit that I got it under control. My body happily burned hotter to compensate for the cold water, but that meant I needed more air. I was able to more than double my bottom time just by making sure I was properly insulated. Now I seldom dive with with a 3mm unless it is at least 75F.

Just a thought...

Everyone had some good advice, but try incorporating this as well. When you learn to dive, they always tell you to breath normally, which is pretty much the last thing a more experienced diver does. I am always working on my breathing. DON'T hold your breath, but if you work to slow it down, you will do better. I always keep a steady stream of bubbles coming out, but slowing down the exhale might help.

What is your respiratory rate on the surface? Train yourself to reduce your breathing cycle to less than 8 breaths per minute. That slow DEEP breathing will then carry over to your breathing underwater.

A good underwater exercise for this is to do fin pivots. (Remember your OW training?) Through breath control, you should be able to pivot your torso from an inch or so off the bottom to about 45 degrees. Get out of rhythm and you either touch the bottom or go beyond 45 degrees.

Of controlling your breath cycle is only one small part of air conservation equation.

Just dive more, that's the simple answer =)

But, not being one for simple answers, I attached a chart which shows my air consumption rate averaged over 200 dives in the last 2.5 years. I know exactly what caused most of the ups and downs, and learned a lot from keeping good notes about every dive and how much air I consumed!

Here's what I learned:

• The biggest thing that regularly affects my air consumption is who I'm diving with. When diving with my regular buddy, my air consumption rate is 15-20% lower than when diving with people I only occassionally dive with. When diving with new divers, it is typically 10-20% higher. This percentage seems to correlate perfectly with my overall comfort level with that particular buddy.
  • Working or chasing crabs also has a huge impact, anywhere between 15 and 25%. Strenuous activity underwater is a guaranteed way to hoover!
  • Haven't been diving in a few weeks? 10-20% higher.
  • Lots of diving in a short period? 10-20% lower.
  • Equipment problems during the dive? 5-10% higher.
  • New dive site? 5-10% higher.
My advice- find a good and reliable buddy whom you enjoy diving with, then dive as often as you can with them. Your air consumption will improve, I promise!

Off to get into the water with my two favorite dive buddies right now =)

-B

Attachments

• sacrate.jpg
    sacrate.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 93

Back
Top Bottom