Air hog - need advice pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another small thing to try would be using an air integrated computer. Usually there is "air time remaining", or breathing rate icons or alarms that could give you feedback. You could then zero in a little easier on when you are doing something right or wrong for air consumption.

Also don't get too hung up on your size affecting your air consumption. Sure large people will never have the same "potential" as someone smaller, but large out of shape guys can have impressive efficiency. Personally I am 60, 6ft. tall and 250lb. I'm reasonably fit and can consistently keep my SAC rate around .35 in warm water. I didn't start out that way, just eventually got there. Yet I know other guys who are couch potatoes, who can out breathe me any day of the week. Just relax and keep working on it.

Hi Sandtiger Steve
Try a balance 2nd stage regulator and what type of fins do you have and your kick style?

Hi Gang,

Well this is developing into a really great stockpile of information on breathing, efficiency with gas overall, how to get more bottom time, technique, etc. Someone should consider compiling and categorizing this all into an article. I would volunteer to do this if the participants were ok with it...lemme know.

Regards,

-S

When I started diving I had terrible air consumption, mainly because my instructor over-weighted me and I was swimming way too fast. Fast forward to now, I became an instructor and my air consumption is great. I improved by experimenting and diving a lot, but in the end it comes down to being calm underwater, both mentally and physically.
I swim super-slowly (some customers even complain when I am guiding them, usually the same ones who miss all the marine life, but most people end up seeing a lot more). My advice is to do everything in slow motion. Only move if you really have to. When you do kick, move your legs slowly. Put your arms in a comfortable position and don't move them. I keep my arms crossed over my chest or hold my hands together in front of me under my chin, this also helps to life your legs up and give you a better horizontal swimming position, reducing drag. The dive should basically be a constant hover, too many people swim to maintain their depth in the water because they are not neutral. Make sure you are weighted correctly, many people can do with taking off a couple of lbs/kgs, usually helps with air consumption. Make sure your gear is streamlined and that you are horizontal. What type of fins do you have? I would recommend rigid fins with a strong blade, not fins that bend easily and not split fins. Personally I use Mares Avanti Quattros, they work very well if you ever do have to kick against a current and you get a lot of propulsion from a single kick. There is a reason you see a lot of instructors with hard fins.

A final piece of advice from me would be to consult a free-diving instructor. I know a lot of people who have improved their air consumption dramatically just by going through some basic breathing exercises. The free-diving instructors tend to have really good advice, as they make their living from making every breath last!

I agree with Jorgy...I played soccer and was told several times that I was swimming too fast. It was fast for me and I wasnt out of breath. I normally let someone else lead to help me to going too fast and being properly weighted has allowed my air comsumption to drop.

I'm sure you've got a wonderful range of suggestions here ranging from equipment configuration, physical health/fitness and relaxation.

I've got a simple low-tech suggestion that may or may not be applicable in your case. I've found that many divers who'd been using high-energy finning techniques find their air consumption improves when they alter their methods.

Poor/air hogging finning include bicycle kicking, kicking your knees toward your torso and moving your legs as if you were on a step-master.

Try straightening your legs (without locking the knees) and pointing your toes straight out when you kick. If you don't get the chance to practice underwater, you can get the feel for this by practicing at your swimming pool (it's the front crawl kick).

I personally prefer the frog kick. Again, it's about using the legs and not kicking into yourself.

Might as well chip in - I find listening to calming music prior to a dive helps me. When underwater I replay this song in my head. I focus on a chorus or whatever, for exhalation. It helps me extend my exhalation and seems to really relax me. My air consumption now is pretty good.

But weighting, buoyancy control and trim are important too. I also use my ankles for propulsion a lot of the time too rather than legs. Seems to require less effort = less air consumption. And as has been also mentioned. I only move when strictly necessary. The rest of the time I just hang or glide.

As well as the other advice - take up yoga, it help you learn to control your breathing.

I have to agree with Andy. I thought that the whole yoga breathing thing was weird, until I tried it. A friend of mine told me to visualize that my belly button was tied to my spine, and that when I breathe, I should breathe in and out with my stomach, in order to keep the movement of my muscles along that invisible line. My SAC rate instantly went down. I practiced it in a pool for a bit, and it's second nature now. I have a similar SAC rate to my friend now because of it.

I picked up on something you said ... you like swimming .. it keeps you warm

if you are the least bit cool, then your air consumption will be greater than if you are warm
Look at your exposure protection and upgrade it as necessary to stay warm all through your dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom