Air 'conservation'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive more. Anyone who gives you other advice is trying to sell you something :wink:

Just kidding.

But seriously. Dive more. It will "click". All newbies hoover their air. I did. Everyone I have ever met did. And then it clicks. After you...

...dive more :D

More dives and learn to not use your hands. Seriously, people who wave their hands around to maintain trim or turn or backup use way more air. Practice keeping your hands folded under you and learn to backup and turn using only your fins. Then learn to keep your movements calm. Your breathing will naturally improve.

yoga? meditate? yea, like that. try and exhale a baby bit more than you do naturally. Since you are a scientist, read or review pulmony anatomy and the concept of "dead space".

This topic seems to come up more than any other. Just strap on a 120 cf butt-banger and dive. I think both buoyancy and air consumption "problems" could be solved with the application of a big steel tank.

redhatmama:
This topic seems to come up more than any other. Just strap on a 120 cf butt-banger and dive. I think both buoyancy and air consumption "problems" could be solved with the application of a big steel tank.

It does? Sorry - a big forum to trawl through.

Thanks all for all your pointers, will take them on board.

Miss Mollusc:
It does? Sorry - a big forum to trawl through.

Thanks all for all your pointers, will take them on board.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound grouchy, and yes, it comes up a lot. A good SAC comes with time and practice and if you are using more air right now, then bring more. There is nothing about the AL 80 that I like in recreational diving. I think the current rental fleet of AL80s should be destroyed and replaced with the beautiful E7-100. Then most of the newbies would run out of time before air and they wouldn't cork so much on their safety stops.

It's just an aluminum abomination. :D

don't mind people around here! you'll come to love Redhat"s humor once you've perused hundreds of the garden variety "white bread posts". It is part of the affectionate hazing reserved for fresh divers.

me, I like the whole mindfulness of breathing. Just listening to the sound takes me to another place!

redhatmama:
I think the current rental fleet of AL80s should be destroyed and replaced with the beautiful E7-100. Then most of the newbies would run out of time before air and they wouldn't cork so much on their safety stops.
Huh??? The E7-100 changes buoyancy more than an AL80, so why should the AL80 be causing people to "cork" on their safety stop?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom