Air Conservation - I suck air, what can I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember when I did my qualification courses. I did multi-level as part of my AOW and by the time I signalled the group to go up to the next level, everyone was almost out of air while i and a few others were still sitting with half a tank.

From the manuals at everything you know that you shouldn't "shallow breath" because that doesn't clear the dead space in your lungs.... nor hold your breath. Although i may "pause" briefly in between inhaling and exhaling....

I found that breathing in very slowly (5 seconds) and then breathing out very slowly (5 seconds) helps tremendously.
I also push my tongue onto the roof of my mouth so as to create a "straw" like effect that restricts me doing a big quick inhale.

I found that breathing in very slowly (5 seconds) and then breathing out very slowly (5 seconds) helps tremendously.
Although I also breathe slowly (most of the time), I want to caution people NOT to force it -- the important thing is to breathe efficiently. The slow breathing patterns will come IF you are a "balanced diver" in the water column.

Why not just "breathe slowly?" Because you may very well end up with a CO2 headache and they are REALLY, REALLY nasty (not to mention they can lead to other dangers).

Slow down, enjoy the dive and move only when YOU want to move -- the breathing and everything else will follow.

Why not just "breathe slowly?" Because you may very well end up with a CO2 headache and they are REALLY, REALLY nasty

Been there, done that. Slashed my SAC by 25%, and ruined my afternoon with a killer headache!

So, OP, make an effort to breathe efficiently... but not TOO much of an effort. Staying relaxed and controlling your workload are the other puzzle pieces, as has been mentioned.

One thing that I think training agencies could change is the fact that they over emphasise that you must breath continuously ... they in my opinion should tell students to breathe as they normally do ... you don't inhale and exhale continuously, there is generally a pause between them (where the airway is still open so you are not holding your breathe)

Obviously i'd never recommend that a diver dive outside of their capabilities. but then that's up to each dive to set for themselves. I personally can breath very slow and long with no side affects such as CO2 head aches and the like. That is what i've found works for me.

But it is true, if you are relaxed and enjoying your dive then your air consumption does improve without too much effort!

One of the most important as mentioned, relax, relax , relax and slow down your breathing pattern. Neutral bouyancy practuce will help no end.

Back
Top Bottom