AI Wrist Computer Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joejoe41

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just purchased an Aqua Lung I770R (please don't tell me why I should have bought a Perdix instead) mainly for the ability to monitor 4 air transmitters (my wife and grandson - both new to Scuba). As a worried husband and grandfather, it will give me some piece of mind while diving. I need suggestions on compatible AI wrist computers, for my wife and grandson, that are very user friendly and not very expensive (new or used - new or old stock). My wife and grandson will be occasional divers. Of course I will get Pegalic transmitters for them. I see the yellow, grey, black transmitters, does it matter if all the transmitters are the same that I monitor on my I770R, as long as they are Pegalic?

TIA

Hi @joejoe41

You don't have many choices, in addition to your computer, that use a Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter. None are inexpensive. The new Aqua Lung i470TC and the discontinuted i450T run the same decompression algorithm that your computer runs, PZ+. The Oceanic OCi runs PZ+ in addition to a 2nd deco algorithm, DSAT. The Sherwood Amphos Air only runs DSAT. Of course, there is the Shearwater Teric and Perdix AI that run Buhlmann. There are some legacy Oceanic computers such as the Atom3 or VT4 that would work, but they were discontinued some time ago. I don't know how well buddy check works

I just purchased an Aqua Lung I770R (please don't tell me why I should have bought a Perdix instead) mainly for the ability to monitor 4 air transmitters (my wife and grandson - both new to Scuba). As a worried husband and grandfather, it will give me some piece of mind while diving. I need suggestions on compatible AI wrist computers, for my wife and grandson, that are very user friendly and not very expensive (new or used - new or old stock). My wife and grandson will be occasional divers. Of course I will get Pegalic transmitters for them. I see the yellow, grey, black transmitters, does it matter if all the transmitters are the same that I monitor on my I770R, as long as they are Pegalic?

TIA

Are you thinking that you are going to be able to monitor other divers pressure while diving? The transmitter range is not sufficient to do that unless the divers are stacked on top of each other under water.

"An antenna inside the dive computer receives the signals when it is positioned within { 72 in (6 ft) |1.8 m } of the transmitter and within a zone parallel or at a 45 degree angle to the transmitter. Best reception is achieved when the dive computer and transmitter are within { 3 ft | 0.9 m } of each other"

There are other options for doing what you want. Mares and ratio make transmitters that have lights on them so you can see whether another divers air is green, amber, or red which specify ranges of air pressure. That is a more viable system for monitoring others air than trying to monitor multiple tanks with one computer.

Fundamentally though this is a gear solution to a training problem, the more appropriate course of action is to make sure your wife and grandson are properly trained and you reinforce good habits in diving, such as regular air checks.

I just purchased an Aqua Lung I770R (please don't tell me why I should have bought a Perdix instead) mainly for the ability to monitor 4 air transmitters (my wife and grandson - both new to Scuba). As a worried husband and grandfather, it will give me some piece of mind while diving.

If I started monitoring SWMBO's air all the time, I'd be worried about pieces of organs I might lose... she knows taiji.

Fundamentally though this is a gear solution to a training problem, the more appropriate course of action is to make sure your wife and grandson are properly trained and you reinforce good habits in diving, such as regular air checks.
My thoughts exactly.

First, the distance will probably be too great to get reliable readings.
Second, I wouldn't want to be switching transmitters during a dive unless I'm switching gas. It would be better to have them monitor their own supply. You can reinforce this by asking them to report at several times during the dive.

If you do want to get them AI computers, then having common transmitters is a great idea for backup in case one fails. The good thing is that most AI wrist computers use the PPS transmitters. Used will help save some costs. You want to look for transmitters that have FCC ID MH8A. Those will all work together.

The colors may indicate different timing to avoid communication conflicts. At least this is the case with Shearwater Yellow and Gray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom