AI wrist choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teric would be and is my first choice but the garmin looks interesting too. I have no problem with gear that can do more than I need and prefer that to one that does less or just enough. Teric is very customizable and it’s easy to get the most info you want to see on the main screen. Buying a cheap computer, to my way of thinking, is ultimately just paying more for the right one in the long run.

I have used a Aeris wrist computer for the last 13 years, I think it was the same as a geo. Figured out there are a couple items I would like AI and a compass, and a need is an easier to read screen. Sounds like the Teric thus far covers though. I might wait to see if garmin changes the sonar sound.

If I were spending that much on a computer, I'd be deciding between the Perdix AI and the Teric. I'm a little biased as I already made the decision and bought a Perdix non-AI (upgraded from an Oceanic Geo) and it works great and Shearwater has pretty great customer support .

For me the decision was based on the bigger display of the Perdix as well as the simple AA battery to power it (plus I just don't have any interest in AI). I'm sure an Aqualung or a Suunto or other would work just fine as well, but I'd be surprised if they offer the same lever of customer support that Ive seen from Shearwater.

On the perdix vs teric readability issue I will say that I have one of each. I am a 49 year old with mildly degrading eyesight and i find the teric much easier to read. The smaller size is more than offset by the brightness and crispness of the display.

On the perdix vs teric readability issue I will say that I have one of each. I am a 49 year old with mildly degrading eyesight and i find the teric much easier to read. The smaller size is more than offset by the brightness and crispness of the display.

Ditto.

And the perdix screen readability is also more angle-dependent. I found that I was not twisting my arm around as much to see the teric.

In that case, the Suunto EON Core would be a good choice as well. The best readable screen. Not just the size or the colors, but also the more graphic layout you can choose. Works very intuitive for me. And you can customize screens/views as well. It has everything you specifically want in a compact package at half the price of the Teric or Gamin 2.

If people go on about the conservative algorithm of the Suunto, be aware that the software update of March 2020 corrected this, and that conservatism only really applies to deep dives (deeper than 40 m / 130 ft) in the first place. So it is a non-issue for recreational divers.
I second the EON Core. The others mentioned are great computers as well. I like the Core due to the ability to customize the layout and the ability to read the bright, color screen. Very nice! I do have my settings set to "aggressive" and it seems to work fine for me and the diving I do. Caribbean vacations and local diving in the mountains (Utah) with students.

that conservatism only really applies to deep dives
In my experience, the Suunto conservatism kicks in on repetitive dives -- precisely what a Cozumel-bound rec diver will bump up against.

In my experience, the Suunto conservatism kicks in on repetitive dives -- precisely what a Cozumel-bound rec diver will bump up against.
Also with the new 2.0 software and algorithm? THe had this update in March 2020: Voor Eon Core gebruikers: een update naar Suunto FusedTM RGBM2 - Duiken Magazine The article is in dutch, but Google TRanslate will do a good enough job. It contains side by side comparison of the old and new algorithm and the total deco time they calculate on the same dive (52 m, 10 min bottom time). Difference is 30 minutes of deco time.

I've heard and seen quite a few divemasters and guide use the Core on liveaboards and such. They do 3-4 dives a day and for them, it seems to be working just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom