AI wrist choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brsnow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, looking to purchase an AI computer. Have been looking at a Teric, I also get discounts on Garmin that price them both the same. My dive partner said the T1 transmitter beep would bother him, I haven’t heard it in person yet. Any others on a similar level to look at? I need a readable screen, only upgrading because the older style wrist computers are getting harder to read. Never used AI previously but figure why not.

Mostly warm water with a few Cozumel trips a year. Some local Colorado diving for continued education. Thank you

Do you want it to be watch-sized or just wrist-mounted?
If for recreational diving only, I like the Aqualung i770R (have not dived with it, but the screen is very clear and readable) and I just purchased the Suunto EON Core. With the new algorithm, the Core can even grow with me into a bit of tech diving later on. Both the Aqualung and the Suunto - here in Europe at least - are around half the price of the Shearwater Teric or Garmin descent Mk 2...

Recreational, thank you
I believe both the Teric and the Garmin are overkill for rec diving. For purely rec diving, I'd go for a peregrine if I wanted something really high end (it has no AI), but usually, I do not care about having high-end stuff, so I would go for a cheap watch. If you really want to spend 500$ more just for AI, the Perdix is bigger than the computers you mentioned, and would probably be my first choice if I had no other needs.

The reason why the Garmin is the last on this list is my personal experience. I have a Garmin mkI, and frankly speaking, I believe it is a very good product, but I choose it because I needed both a trimix computer and a sports watch. If I needed just a trimix computer, the Perdix would have been my choice. The main reasons are the relatively small screen (keep in mind that mkII is bigger) and not as bright as other computers. Furthermore, I don't really like how information is shown on the display. That said, the mkII is probably better as a diving computer, since it is bigger (but probably worse as a sports watch :) )

Hope this helps :)

I believe both the Teric and the Garmin are overkill for rec diving. For purely rec diving, I'd go for a peregrine if I wanted something really high end (it has no AI), but usually, I do not care about having high-end stuff, so I would go for a cheap watch. If you really want to spend 500$ more just for AI, the Perdix is bigger than the computers you mentioned, and would probably be my first choice if I had no other needs.

The reason why the Garmin is the last on this list is my personal experience. I have a Garmin mkI, and frankly speaking, I believe it is a very good product, but I choose it because I needed both a trimix computer and a sports watch. If I needed just a trimix computer, the Perdix would have been my choice. The main reasons are the relatively small screen (keep in mind that mkII is bigger) and not as bright as other computers. Furthermore, I don't really like how information is shown on the display. That said, the mkII is probably better as a diving computer, since it is bigger (but probably worse as a sports watch :) )

Hope this helps :)
Thank you, the AI and having a compass are important to me. I prefer wrist size but it is not a deal breaker.

In that case, the Suunto EON Core would be a good choice as well. The best readable screen. Not just the size or the colors, but also the more graphic layout you can choose. Works very intuitive for me. And you can customize screens/views as well. It has everything you specifically want in a compact package at half the price of the Teric or Gamin 2.

If people go on about the conservative algorithm of the Suunto, be aware that the software update of March 2020 corrected this, and that conservatism only really applies to deep dives (deeper than 40 m / 130 ft) in the first place. So it is a non-issue for recreational divers.

Probably not exhaustive but good start:

Computers that meet all your needs:
1. Shearwater Teric
2. Garmin Descent Mk2
3. Suunto D5
4. Ratio iDive Color Deep

Computers that meet most of your requirements
1. Mares Smart Air (no bright screen)
2. Aqualung I470 (no bright Screen)
3. Aqualung I770R (Bigger form factor)
4. Mares Genus (Bigger form Factor)
5. Shearwater Perdix (Bigger form factor)
6. Suunto EON Core (Bigger Form Factor)

the computers that meet all your needs will generally run ~1000+-200-300 (transmitters usually another 250-350 more)

the wrist ones with non-bright screens are generally 500-600

the larger form factor ones are generally in the 750-900 range.

you will get lots of other judgements on the board on other factors such as algorithm, brand preferences based on customer support experiences etc etc etc. You will generally find that most of us are shearwater fans (i have 2) but that may be too much computer for you if $$ is a factor.

If people go on about the conservative algorithm of the Suunto, be aware that the software update of March 2020 corrected this, and that conservatism only really applies to deep dives (deeper than 40 m / 130 ft) in the first place. So it is a non-issue for recreational divers.
It's still a proprietary algorithm, so you really have no idea what it's doing.

Back
Top Bottom