AI Wireless, AI Console or just some old fashioned analog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigger5020

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok, so here is my dilemma. I am a fairly new diver, taking AOW right now and getting ready to invest in my own gear. I already have the basics mask, fins,boots,plus a 7mil and a shorty. I am planning to buy a BP wing set up becase a) I have tried it and like it and b) it is adaptable as I expand my diving skills. So here is my question...I got a good deal on a Suunto D4, so I planned to use that as my main dive computer and go with analog gauges. My LDS highly recommends going with an AI wrist mount to minimize the extra hoses. I am not really comfortable with the D4 yet as I just purchased it 2 dives ago. Would I be better off selling the D4 and going with the AI even if I can only afford to go with the console mount, or is my LDS guy just trying to get me in his ideal set-up? Do you think I am gonna spend the next 20 dives getting comfortable with the D4 only to upgrade and start the learning process all over again? Incidentally, I consider myself pretty technically savvy, but I am not finding the D4 to be very intuitive.
I would appreciate any and all feedback.

For non-technical dives (basic OW rec) I use a AI console (Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1) and love it. It's very intuitive, easy to see and gives me all the information I need.

I prefer a wrist mounted computer. I do not use AI, since an SPG is simpler, cheaper and more reliable. An SPG never loses sync.

If I were using a console mounted computer, I might go AI, since such a system does not require the expensive and error-prone transmitter.

I would get the AI and just roll with it, but I'm geeky like that. Unless you are really uncomfortable with it for some reason... Just watch your pressure and use it monitor your ascent rate and safety stops. Pick up the sync cable for you computer too. Yes it's less reliable then a SPG, but way more fun :)

You're going to get different opinions as we're all different and think differently. I'd recommend a wrist Air Integrated with a backup analog SPG on a hose to the second HP port. No it does not eliminate the extra hose, but it's the best system.

Slightly duplicitous information from your LDS, in my opinion. The issue with streamlined regulator configuration isn't specifically about the *number* of hoses, but rather the routing and stowage of those hoses. This is especially true if you are likely to move into a long-hose/necklace back-up type configuration - which is something particularly relevant and beneficial for BP&W set-ups.

Adding an AI wireless module to the 1st stage can do more to tangle a hose configuration than removing the HP hose can solve... especially if you are intending to add that AI wireless module in a location that protects it from accidental bumps and potential damage. Adding a HP-hose AI module just makes the whole caboodle obtrusive and annoying (for most divers)... who wants a 'house brick' dangling from the HP hose throughout the dive?

My advice is to keep the D4 (a good computer) and spend your time/effort on establishing a superior hose configuration as you put your BP&W system together. You need to select a decent 1st stage that allows optimal configuration for your hoses, allowing a streamlined and coherent approach to the overall set-up.

My 'ideal' set-up stems from a 1st stage that allows all four (or five with drysuit) hoses to be routed close to the body, without arching out to the sides. This means at least 4 ports, including HP, facing in a single direction.

For instance, the HOG D1 5-Port Swivel allows a really excellent long-hose set-up. The long hose routes directly downwards (to the right of the wing), the LPI hose (you want a braided/flexible hose) routes down and then up/over into position and the HP hose (custom length 24") routes directly downwards (to the left of the wing). The necklace bungee routes from the end of the swivel (horizontal, to the right) and fits perfectly to the neck on a short 22-24" hose.

Having a short HP hose that is just the right length to route directly downwards and clip to the left waist d-ring on your wing is a lovely solution - streamlined, not prone to snagging and easy to access.

A single Apeks Tek4 regulator is also perfect for BP&W/Long-Hose configuration - with 4 ports facing downwards, thus allowing excellent hose configuration.

Use what ya' got!

The LDS is just trying to make a sale for something you don't need.

My advice is to keep the D4 (a good computer) and spend your time/effort on establishing a superior hose configuration as you put your BP&W system together. You need to select a decent 1st stage that allows optimal configuration for your hoses, allowing a streamlined and coherent approach to the overall set-up.

My 'ideal' set-up stems from a 1st stage that allows all four (or five with drysuit) hoses to be routed close to the body, without arching out to the sides. This means at least 4 ports, including HP, facing in a single direction.

For instance, the HOG D1 5-Port Swivel allows a really excellent long-hose set-up. The long hose routes directly downwards (to the right of the wing), the LPI hose (you want a braided/flexible hose) routes down and then up/over into position and the HP hose (custom length 24") routes directly downwards (to the left of the wing). The necklace bungee routes from the end of the swivel (horizontal, to the right) and fits perfectly to the neck on a short 22-24" hose.

Having a short HP hose that is just the right length to route directly downwards and clip to the left waist d-ring on your wing is a lovely solution - streamlined, not prone to snagging and easy to access.

Much of what is posted above is also covered with even more info in the link below, along with they whys of the gear configuration. As you can see your new BP/W fits many different dive scenarios, including where most are used which is a simple enjoyable reef dive, all the way to wreck penetrations, deep deco diving, and cave diving. More and more people are finding this well thought out system to be very effective for them.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

Use what ya' got!

The LDS is just trying to make a sale for something you don't need.

Much of what is posted above is also covered with even more info in the link below, along with they whys of the gear configuration. As you can see your new BP/W fits many different dive scenarios, including where most are used which is a simple enjoyable reef dive, all the way to wreck penetrations, deep deco diving, and cave diving. More and more people are finding this well thought out system to be very effective for them.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

You could say the same thing about the website you link, as they're trying to sell you Halcyon gear. A hint that this configuration is not with the recreational diver in mind, is the recommendation to use a bottom timer and dive tables.

You could say the same thing about the website you link, as they're trying to sell you Halcyon gear. A hint that this configuration is not with the recreational diver in mind, is the recommendation to use a bottom timer and dive tables.
The reality is the instructors let you use whatever gear conforms to GUE standards. There are many different brands that are used every day by people diving a Hogarthian kit. So what if they are sponsored by halcyon? Not a bad sponsorship to have if you had to pick one eh?

Tables vs computers is a hot topic and discussed in many threads. Shouldn't everyone need to at least understand tables, even if you are planning on using a computer? No one said you can't dive a BP/W, long hose, hip mounted gauge, etc. and not use a wrist mounted computer like a Suunto D4. For many a computer is a good thing to have, even after a basic understanding of the tables is learned. Point being recreational diving vs technical diving isn't all that different in the basics that can keep a diver and dive team safe, using streamlined gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom