AI & SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't. I used to have both an SPG + Transmitter, but I abandoned the redundant SPG. I keep the SPG in my "save a dive" kit on the boat. If my transmitter fails I can just end the dive and swap to the SPG for the next dive.

This way, I don't have to give up the main thing I wanted when I bought a computer with hoseless AI: one less hose.

And herein lies the difference: I did not get AI to eliminate a hose - I got it, primarily, to see tank pressure info on the dive computer on my wrist. With wireless AI, I can now monitor my air supply in the same place I'm already monitoring my other key dive info periodically throughout the dive . That means one less gauge to check and a more convenient location. I also got it to automatically log start/end pressures and provide real time feedback on SAC during a dive.

I keep the SPG as it is not at all a bother and the redundancy means I don't have to even consider ending a dive if the transmitter fails. I'd also rather not rely on guesstimating my remaining gas as I know some will suggest. I also keep spare port plugs and wrenches in my save a dive kit so that if the transmitter got damaged, I can just remove it and put the port plug in place and keep diving with my SPG.

Different "strokes" for different folks (pun intended)!

Last edited:
It's a good idea, but only for us strokes.
Yup - we are so unsafe with our redundant air gauges :). Some of us don't use the long hose/necklace config on our regs either - scandalous!

Actually, if you bought pants that fit correctly, you shouldn't even need a belt at all.

In any event, Your veiled analogy of belt and suspenders being equivalent to to keeping an SPG and AI is really apples and oranges - I'm 54 and have not personally ever experienced a belt failure, nor have I ever heard of someone else's? However, there do appear to be at least some number of accounts of AI failing from what I've read here (loss of signal, interference, battery issue, etc.,). You also have the risk of someone confusing your transmitter with the tank valve handle and damaging it by trying to lift the cylinder with it - so I don't get for the life of me why there is such a judgmental attitude on keeping an SPG as a redundant source of air supply info to AI.

So, how about you go ahead and dive how you like, and the rest of us will dive the way we want...

In this thread like in the other I have seen no one attack or demean you for how you choose to dive and in fact many times they have said that we should all do what makes us comfortable. I even did that in my analogy. In both threads you have attacked those that disagree with you. In this thread you called them out before they even expressed an opinion. In the last one, you exaggerated what others said. I've only seen one poster get emotional about this. The others in this thread treat it with the importance it deserves, little. No one need get hurt or injured over this decision one way or the other. Inconvenienced, maybe. It comes down to which inconvenience do you want to risk? Much ado about nothing. I also think the op has probably heard both sides, especially if he read the other thread I linked to. It's all good. It doesn't have to be another BP/W versus jacket kind of argument. Peace out.

In this thread like in the other I have seen no one attack or demean you for how you choose to dive and in fact many times they have said that we should all do what makes us comfortable. I even did that in my analogy. In both threads you have attacked those that disagree with you. In this thread you called them out before they even expressed an opinion. In the last one, you exaggerated what others said. I've only seen one poster get emotional about this. The others in this thread treat it with the importance it deserves, little. No one need get hurt or injured over this decision one way or the other. Inconvenienced, maybe. It comes down to which inconvenience do you want to risk? Much ado about nothing. I also think the op has probably heard both sides, especially if he read the other thread I linked to. It's all good. It doesn't have to be another BP/W versus jacket kind of argument. Peace out.
Please do show me where I "attacked" anyone.

In this thread and the other one, I merely questioned the judgmental attitude that was being demonstrated by some toward the concept of keeping an SPG with AI. I also gave sound reasons why I have kept my SPG for backup. There was plenty of posts implying that it was silly to keep both and a diver should not need to have redundant air supply gauges as they should be able to figure out how much air they have remaining at any point in the dive or just end the dive.

I have only provided a counter to those posts based on what I see as the advantage for me. I've also questioned why others seem to be not accept that reasoning and continue to suggest it's a silly thing to do. I'm honestly at a loss to see how that constitutes attacking anyone? And who is getting emotional? This is just a discussion among strangers on an internet forum...

If you dont wear a belt then where do attach your holster?

I have had a Suunto AI since last October. I have around 50 dives on it and have not lost connection during a dive yet. Two times though I lost pairing and did not realize it until I splashed. I always check when I get on the boat then shut the air off for the boat ride. Now i give myself enouvb time to check conection rigbt before the dive. I have been using a mini SPG, I would rather live with the hose than possibly scrap a dive.

Yup - we are so unsafe with our redundant air gauges :). Some of us don't use the long hose/necklace config on our regs either - scandalous!
Yeah there's another current thread about hose configurations I'm pretty sure - or maybe I just read an old one. No shortage of discussions on that topic. I'm currently listening to the audiobook "Scuba Confidential" which discusses the issue to some degree. So far, it's pretty good if you've got time to read or listen to it!

That is just weird. I don't think I have heard of anyone with a computer that talks to the PPS transmitter (i.e. Shearwater, Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, AquaLung, or Sherwood) having an issue where they actually lost the pairing to the transmitter. I didn't even lose the pairing from my Atom to my transmitter when I changed batteries in the Atom (which I have done 2 or 3 times now - still haven't had to change the battery in the transmitter itself, though).

The pairing (at least for a PPS transmitter) is just having the computer remember the transmitter's serial number. So, it seems like the only way to lose the pairing is for the computer itself to lose the serial # from its memory. If that even can happen, it just seems like a bad design or bad firmware. Bad as in "buggy".

Last edited:
That is just weird. I don't think I have heard of anyone with a computer that talks to the PPS transmitter (i.e. Shearwater, Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, AquaLung, or Sherwood) having an issue where they actually lost the pairing to the transmitter.

Me! But that was only because I needed to replace the battery on the transmitter (which lasts forever).

Me! But that was only because I needed to replace the battery on the transmitter (which lasts forever).
That depends on the transmitter, apparently. My scubapro Tx needs frequent changes.. or it did until Scubapro switched to using a higher capacity battery.

However, I haven't had to deliberately re-pair the transmitter after a battery change that I can recall.

I do occasionally re-pair the tx as a side effect of testing tank pressure with the computer sitting on top of the reg when I first get onto the boat.

That depends on the transmitter, apparently. My scubapro Tx needs frequent changes.. or it did until Scubapro switched to using a higher capacity battery.

However, I haven't had to deliberately re-pair the transmitter after a battery change that I can recall.

I do occasionally re-pair the tx as a side effect of testing tank pressure with the computer sitting on top of the reg when I first get onto the boat.

Yeah, we were specifically talking about the PPS transmitters. Mine is 2 1/2 years old, has 120-something dives (plus however many pool dips, which I don't count) and it's still on the original battery, which my Atom (as of 2 weeks ago) still says the status on is "Good".

You had to re-pair to a PPS transmitter after changing the battery? I don't understand how that would happen. The serial number of the transmitter wouldn't change when you change the battery, so why would a computer that is programmed to "listen to" that serial number have to be paired again after the transmitter battery was changed?

You're saying you changed the battery in your transmitter and then had to enter that transmitter's serial # in your computer again to get the computer to show the pressure from that transmitter?

There is something to be said for a process like (I gather) ScubaPro uses, where you pair them by putting the computer right next to transmitter (I gather). I suppose it might be quicker and a little easier.

But, there is also something to be said for the stone-like reliability of having the transmitter have a built-in serial number (which is also printed and engraved on the outside) and just setting that number in your computer one time and done.

Back
Top Bottom