AI & SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Analog SPG on one post, transmitter on the other. Perdix AI on right arm, nonAI Perdix on left. I'll take off the transmitter (attached via a short hose so I don't mistake it for the right valve) if I'm taking a class with a DIR agency.

For those who don't like this configuration, you just keep being you.

Yes. A pressure gauge on a 24" hose attached to my left hip D ring. I also generally dive with two computers (for depth) in case my primary fails.
I do the same. I use transmitters for 4 years, and don't consider them as reliable pressure gauges. Connection often fails, sometimes — up to the end of dive (Suunto transmitters). So, analog SPG is always clipped to my left hip D-ring.
Transmitter is only for comfort — it's very convenient to see actual pressure on the wrist.

For those of you that dive with an AI computer, do you still use an SPG in case the computer stops working on you dive? Just curious...
No. I don't wear a belt if I'm wearing suspenders either. :D :D :D

For those of you that dive with an AI computer, do you still use an SPG in case the computer stops working on you dive? Just curious...

Nope. Not on recreational dives. I did keep my SPG on my reg set for a while. After enough dives without a hint of a problem from my AI, I took the SPG off and just carry it in my spares box.

Wearing suspenders (fify) is odd unto itself...(at least to me)

If I'm playing it safe, I must wear both. I'll tell myself that I'm not being excessive because I'm not also using an elastic waist band. After a period of time, I realize my belt never breaks and while the suspenders are only a minor annoyance, I decide it is safe to leave them in my car. If my belt breaks I can go out to the car and get them.

If I'm going to meet the queen and I can't get back to the car easily in case of a belt failure I can still wear both. Hell, I can still wear both every day and keep spares in my car or even my backpack. It all comes down to how I feel about holding up my pants temporarily if my belt breaks and how far I am from my car. How much do I trust my belt? Do I know how to keep my pants from falling down in case of a catastrophic belt failure. Grandpa says I'm silly not to just use the tried and tested suspenders but I like life on the wild side and I realize that pant slippage won't kill me unless I'm meeting the queen. I'll just have a story to tell.

I don't. I used to have both an SPG + Transmitter, but I abandoned the redundant SPG. I keep the SPG in my "save a dive" kit on the boat. If my transmitter fails I can just end the dive and swap to the SPG for the next dive.

This way, I don't have to give up the main thing I wanted when I bought a computer with hoseless AI: one less hose.

Hoseless AI + Air2 = only two hoses coming off my first stage. It's very nice and clean and makes things that much more enjoyable for me.

http://www.kellyphotos.org/ForumPics/regulator_ooh_yeah.mp4

If I'm playing it safe, I must wear both. I'll tell myself that I'm not being excessive because I'm not also using an elastic waist band. After a period of time, I realize my belt never breaks and while the suspenders are only a minor annoyance, I decide it is safe to leave them in my car. If my belt breaks I can go out to the car and get them.

If I'm going to meet the queen and I can't get back to the car easily in case of a belt failure I can still wear both. Hell, I can still wear both every day and keep spares in my car or even my backpack. It all comes down to how I feel about holding up my pants temporarily if my belt breaks and how far I am from my car. How much do I trust my belt? Do I know how to keep my pants from falling down in case of a catastrophic belt failure. Grandpa says I'm silly not to just use the tried and tested suspenders but I like life on the wild side and I realize that pant slippage won't kill me unless I'm meeting the queen. I'll just have a story to tell.
Actually, if you bought pants that fit correctly, you shouldn't even need a belt at all.

In any event, Your veiled analogy of belt and suspenders being equivalent to to keeping an SPG and AI is really apples and oranges - I'm 54 and have not personally ever experienced a belt failure, nor have I ever heard of someone else's? However, there do appear to be at least some number of accounts of AI failing from what I've read here (loss of signal, interference, battery issue, etc.,). You also have the risk of someone confusing your transmitter with the tank valve handle and damaging it by trying to lift the cylinder with it - so I don't get for the life of me why there is such a judgmental attitude on keeping an SPG as a redundant source of air supply info to AI.

So, how about you go ahead and dive how you like, and the rest of us will dive the way we want...

So, how about you go ahead and dive how you like, and the rest of us will dive the way we want...
It's a good idea, but only for us strokes.

Back
Top Bottom