AI for sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Transmitters and SPG on each cylinder. Yesterday I was glad I had both. Much easier to check pressures on the Perdix. Perdix will also give a reg switch alarm. But yesterday something went wrong with the Perdix - Both transmitter displays said comms failure at the same time. I was one hour into a planned 1:45 dive. Last pressure reading I remembered was 2000 and 1750. Held the Perdix right next to each transmitter but no joy. Turned the dive, and made an uneventful shore exit because I had SPGs as a backup. Sent e-mail to Shearwater. Changed all 3 batteries. Functioned normal today.
I'll be sticking with AI plus SPG from now on.

Transmitters and SPG on each cylinder. Yesterday I was glad I had both. Much easier to check pressures on the Perdix. Perdix will also give a reg switch alarm. But yesterday something went wrong with the Perdix - Both transmitter displays said comms failure at the same time. I was one hour into a planned 1:45 dive. Last pressure reading I remembered was 2000 and 1750. Held the Perdix right next to each transmitter but no joy. Turned the dive, and made an uneventful shore exit because I had SPGs as a backup. Sent e-mail to Shearwater. Changed all 3 batteries. Functioned normal today.
Are you using swift transmitters or oceanic? If you’re using a pair of oceanic transmitters they will interfere with each other eventually and cause a comms drop. Replacing one with a swift or a yellow oceanic will keep that from happening. I found that out the hard way…

To answer OP’s question, I dive with transmitters and no SPG and love the setup. I’ve never had an issue since I swapped and oceanic transmitter for a swift.

Hello

I use two transmitters (Oceanic/Aqualung, one grey, one yellow) with two Perdix AI. I did around 400 dives with this configuration. No problem whatsoever. The transmitters are attached directly to the 1st stage without hoses.

Best wishes Jens

I use transmitters screwed directly into my first stages, no short hose. I wouldn't like to dive w/o them. Much easier to check gas for both cylinders at a quick glance, keep track of GTR, SAC, etc.
I do have a button SPG on as well. Mainly to be able to quickly confirm pressures when I'm temporarily charging after putting my kit together.

Are you using swift transmitters or oceanic? If you’re using a pair of oceanic transmitters they will interfere with each other eventually and cause a comms drop. Replacing one with a swift or a yellow oceanic will keep that from happening. I found that out the hard way…

To answer OP’s question, I dive with transmitters and no SPG and love the setup. I’ve never had an issue since I swapped and oceanic transmitter for a swift.
I have a Grey and a Yellow transmitter. Feedback from Shearwater was possible computer antenna failure. They offered a RMA for service, but I'm going to hold off for now. I will buy a Perdix 2 soon. If I get a repeat event, I'll use that RMA. I dive with an AquaLung i200 as a secondary; the only affected functionality was AI; I have SPGs.

Yes. Shearwater Swift Transmitter on both side mount tanks. No SPG's but do have one in Save a Dive Kit. Also have extra Swift Transmitter. Never had a problem with Perdix 2 or transmitters.

If you had an SPG failure, you would have done the same thing - ended the dive. So if the redundancy of a extra gauge there worth it? You planned your dive and knew your gas.

What nonsense.

Oops, forgot the pic

This is the left reg/necklace reg btw, so just turn it 90ccw for a pov
Those janky swivels are the most likely point of failure by far

Those janky swivels are the most likely point of failure by far
guilty as charged, I get anxious about them as well and I find myself "checking" on them more often than I like

they (the jank) have always been a temporary soln. since I am not finding HP splitters in stock to run them without swivels (comfortably)

I am open to other ideas/suggetions -- within the requirment: I wanna use both a transmitter and (non button) SPG 🤷🏽‍♀️

EDIT: I know it's an eyesore -- I wish I put a trigger warning in the last post 🙈

Back
Top Bottom