AI & Deco models - am I being fed a line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue! once bubbled...

He told me that the AI computers use the rate of gas utilization in their deco models....i.e., the amount of nitrogen the computer assumes you've loaded varies as a function of rate of gas consumption (*NOT* only depth, which is obviously the case).

This is a question I asked right out of my BOW class. Does someone with a higher SAC rate absorb more nitrogen while doing the exact same profile as someone with a lower SAC rate.

The answer appears to be "No."

This was also discussed in one of the forums a while back at some length. I believe it was in the "Ask Dr. Deco" section.

As far as NDL calculations based on temperature, etc, there is now way for your AI computer to know if you are diving, wet, dry, or how much thermal protection you have on.

You could conceivably be warmer and more comfortable in 40 degree water in a drysuit than in 80 degree water in just a bathing suit.

This would tend to negate the effectiveness of any such feature.

My advice: Skip the bells and whistles, especially when they are promoted by a salesman. Instead, get a good clear understanding of the basic functions you need then find the computer that best suits these needs whether it be AI or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom