AI computer vs computer & mechanical spg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since you state you are somewhat budget constrained, buying a used console on eBay sounds like a good idea. Take the SPG/computer and compass out of the console and fit the last two on separate wrist mounts. AI computer vs SPG? If you don't pay attention when diving neither will help you when you run low on air.

I use a manual pressure gauges, and am about to buy a Perdix AI. the perdix will just be added, but i will keep my manual spg as a backup incase it fails.

I use a manual pressure gauges, and am about to buy a Perdix AI. the perdix will just be added, but i will keep my manual spg as a backup incase it fails.
Nothing wrong with that approach. I bring an SPG in my save a dive kit, but don't generally bring it on the dive. However, a lot of that will depend on how you dive. I usually dive private boats with some friends. So, worst case, we surface and I swap it out to continue. If doing charters, that may not be optimal, though so I could see the benefit of bringing the SPD along.

I like redundancy, so on a set of doubles I like an spg on one post and AI on the other (as most people do).

Technology fails and spg's aren't exactly 100% accurate, it takes nothing for me to keep them both on.

This is also what I do for doubles. The spg is there on the left post, clipped to the plate, and I never look at it. If I had to shut down the right post, the spg would be useful.

On singles I don’t bring the spg into the water, it stays in the dive bag.

I'm always a fan of taking a "belt and suspenders" approach! Especially since life support equipment is WAY more important than keeping one's trousers up!

I like redundancy, so on a set of doubles I like an spg on one post and AI on the other (as most people do).

Technology fails and spg's aren't exactly 100% accurate, it takes nothing for me to keep them both on.

when i have my dc as well, im gonna use the mentality, use the data from whichever device says i have less gas.

when i have my dc as well, im gonna use the mentality, use the data from whichever device says i have less gas.
I think you'll find the ai is much more accurate, the spg is just backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom