Question Agency vs instructor selection (Netherlands)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a couple of instructors that teach sidemount, but to be honest I see very few diving in my locale, where on a boat of 10 divers you might see one or two on sidemount. This year over my past 21 dives I've only seen one diver using sidemount.
When SM diving from shore, you take the tanks to the water's edge one by one and then get into the water and pull the tanks until in the proper depth to put them on properly. It is much easier to do that than 2 tanks on your back in BM configuration.
Really depends on the shore diving.

For shore diving the Saudi (and Egyptian) Red Sea where the walkouts to the reef edge are 100-200m and as far as 2Km in places I'd want tanks on my back.

Sandy shore dives are probably easier for SM.

Who is bound by the standards and training procedures of the agency. Nothing is created from vacuum. If you were right, then every instructor trainer can just issue their own c-cards and everyone is happy.
In my experience it was not exactly so. My instructor at the course for becoming instructor was Duilio Marcante. He was the founder of the Italian training system.
He created the agency, not the opposite!
But first, before the agency, he created the Nervi training center, where the instructors were prepared.
Once a number of good instructors was made, he started the agency (FIPSAS, one of the founders of CMAS):

Duilio Marcante was not the top Italian diving instructor (that was definitely Luigi Ferraro, who was the first one starting recreational diving courses, in the forties).
Duilio Marcante, indeed, was an exceptional "instructor of instructors".
Please note that, in my knowledge, also American agencies such as NAUI and PADI were born in the same way: first a small number of founders prepared a larger group of instructors, and later these instructors associated, creating the agency.

For shore diving the Saudi (and Egyptian) Red Sea where the walkouts to the reef edge are 100-200m

Are you talking about walking from where your car is parked on the ground to where you enter the water is 100-200m?

as far as 2Km in places

You walk with a tank on your back from your car to the water for 2km???? No camels to lug your equipment for you?

In my experience it was not exactly so. My instructor at the course for becoming instructor was Duilio Marcante. He was the founder of the Italian training system.
He created the agency, not the opposite!
But first, before the agency, he created the Nervi training center, where the instructors were prepared.
Once a number of good instructors was made, he started the agency (FIPSAS, one of the founders of CMAS):

Duilio Marcante was not the top Italian diving instructor (that was definitely Luigi Ferraro, who was the first one starting recreational diving courses, in the forties).
Duilio Marcante, indeed, was an exceptional "instructor of instructors".
Please note that, in my knowledge, also American agencies such as NAUI and PADI were born in the same way: first a small number of founders prepare a larger group of instructors, and later these instructors associated, creating the agency.

You are talking about decades ago and about the people who started it all before agencies were created. I am talking about today, agency is the starting point.

If, at instructor training level, each instructor trainer did his own thing, it will mean that the agency system is most terrible with something seriously wrong with it. Uniformity and consistency are key factors paramount in instructor training. You must go by the respective agency's book.

@Cheizz

Why do you want to go SM? Unless you have physical issues that make doubles a no-go, SM seems a pain in the butt for your situation.

No one who "walks around with 2 12ltr" is in his right mind, they should be in the water not walking around. I don't know of anyone walking around with 2 12 ltr tanks in SM or BM. You put your tanks on and hop into the water. When SM diving from shore, you take the tanks to the water's edge one by one and then get into the water and pull the tanks until in the proper depth to put them on properly. It is much easier to do that than 2 tanks on your back in BM configuration. Try walking about with doubles on your back walking in sand until you get into the water deep enough to stand and put your fins one there.
You have to walk on a pitching deck of a boat to get to the ladder or do you suddenly appear in the water and back in the boat when you use side mount

No one who "walks around with 2 12ltr" is in his right mind, they should be in the water not walking around. I don't know of anyone walking around with 2 12 ltr tanks in SM or BM. You put your tanks on and hop into the water. When SM diving from shore, you take the tanks to the water's edge one by one and then get into the water and pull the tanks until in the proper depth to put them on properly. It is much easier to do that than 2 tanks on your back in BM configuration. Try walking about with doubles on your back walking in sand until you get into the water deep enough to stand and put your fins one there.
Who do you think you’re kidding, In back mount you can simply walk in with your tanks on your back, your reg is in your mouth and mask on. both hands free to put on your fins, do you seriously expect people to believe that it’s easier to haul bottles out in the surf and get dressed in any kind of a sea.

OR should I be seeking out a good instructor, whatever the agency is under which (s)he is teaching? Bear in mind that here in the Netherlands, it's not very common or easy to find informed reviews on individual trainers (of dive schools, for that matter)...
Yes....this! 👆 I'm an SSI instructor, so I'm "supposed" to push you toward SSI. Haha! But honestly, I think unless you intend to go pro some day, go with the instructor/school reputation over agency. Of course, I think SSI has excellent training in these disciplines, so if an SSI shops end up being the best in your area, that's great.

Who is bound by the standards and training procedures of the agency. Nothing is created from vacuum. If you were right, then every instructor trainer can just issue their own c-cards and everyone is happy.
There's such a dramatic difference in CDs/ITs of the largest agencies, it isn't even funny. What is written may be the same, but what is interpreted and implemented are not. One has to be incredibly unobservant to not be aware. That's why other agencies can have such an impact on an instructor. If the CD/IT is top notch and trains to a high level, the impact of other agencirs (of the instructor continues to learn and train) will be less. For those interpreting at low level, the impact will be .more

Back
Top Bottom