Question Agency vs instructor selection (Netherlands)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been buddied up with divers on recreational dives who use sidemount. I just find it strange they want to use sidemount on NDL dives but it's not my place to judge that. On one of my dives I was taking a photo and got smacked in the head by a tank from by my sidemount dive buddy who decided he wanted to see what I was taking pictures of.
People with bad manners on land won’t change when they get in the water, side mount is not as handy as back mount, if you can handle the weight of a twinset then back mount is the simplest way to do it.

That's a good point. I have seen too many times though (in other sports) that people teach themselves things that they, later on, need to 'unlearn' because of little flaws in their execution of procedures, etc. I guess that diving regularly with someone who can 'correct' you (and video-assisted feedback) would be very beneficial. I just don't want to learn things 'the wrong way' in the first place. That's why I am looking into this.
Yes you need to get the basics right. Trial and error is definitely slower.

People with bad manners on land won’t change when they get in the water, side mount is not as handy as back mount, if you can handle the weight of a twinset then back side mount is the simplest way to do it.
Nah. Far easier to have separate cylinders. Much easier on your back to lug around, get filled, cheaper to test, etc.

If you've got nose clips (e.g. like a stage) you just clip them on to carry them around. Or sling them in a decent rope bag. Store them under the bench on a boat...

Nah. Far easier to have separate cylinders. Much easier on your back to lug around, get filled, cheaper to test, etc.

If you've got nose clips (e.g. like a stage) you just clip them on to carry them around. Or sling them in a decent rope bag. Store them under the bench on a boat...
Yes they’re easier to handle separately and obviously half the weight to lift. But no one in their right mind would claim it’s easier to walk around with 2 12ltr steel tanks hanging loose at their sides than on a secure backplate and harness on your back. Gimme a break.

no one in their right mind would claim it’s easier to walk around with 2 12ltr steel tanks hanging loose at their sides

No one who "walks around with 2 12ltr" is in his right mind, they should be in the water not walking around. I don't know of anyone walking around with 2 12 ltr tanks in SM or BM. You put your tanks on and hop into the water. When SM diving from shore, you take the tanks to the water's edge one by one and then get into the water and pull the tanks until in the proper depth to put them on properly. It is much easier to do that than 2 tanks on your back in BM configuration. Try walking about with doubles on your back walking in sand until you get into the water deep enough to stand and put your fins one there.

I put my fins on in shallow water and clip top of both tanks. Move into deeper water (that I can still stand up in) to finish everything up.

Actually, the instructor of the instructor creates the instructor...

Who is bound by the standards and training procedures of the agency. Nothing is created from vacuum. If you were right, then every instructor trainer can just issue their own c-cards and everyone is happy.

What kind of dives do you want to do ?

At your local diveclub there are no sidemount divers. That means no training buddy's and I guess no buddy's for challenging dives.

In the Netherlands there are no sites which require sidemount. Most chalanging divesites require backmount (Northsea and Eastern Scheldt).

It is very easy to find a good backmount instructor in the Netherlands. But I don't know a good sidemount instructor in the Netherland. There might be good sidemount instructors in the Netherlands.

It's not the gear which is the most important to do challenging/tech/cave dives. But it would be the network of buddy's which is more important.

With backmount and gue fundamentals it would be easy to join other groups of divers, join projects, do training dives and do tech/cave trips.

It would be also possible with sidemount and another agency. But it would be much harder. Why would you chose that route ?

I do understand you would choose that route because you already know an instructor and buddy's, but otherwise I wouldn't consider that route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom