Age & Rank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
Just sitting and thinking,,,,,,looked at the PADI stats page and found that of all the PADI cert. divers in the US in my age group of 50-54,,,that we made up only approx. 4%--gee!

Also I am just curious as to the break down of certf. levels in terms of %...... does anyone have an idea (OW,,AOW,,RESC......)??

:)

While I'm not newly certified, I'm still diving at 73 Years. On a recent trip to Roatan, I thought I would be the oldest but there were at least two older then me in their 80's! :wink:

6Gill:
While I'm not newly certified, I'm still diving at 73 Years. On a recent trip to Roatan, I thought I would be the oldest but there were at least two older then me in their 80's! :wink:
You're my hero dude, I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Have you placed any restrictions on yourself, in regards to depths, repetitive dives, that sort of thing?

Al Mialkovsky:
You're my hero dude, I wanna be like you when I grow up.

Have you placed any restrictions on yourself, in regards to depths, repetitive dives, that sort of thing?

Not really! I do try to use the local pool to swim laps three times a week. (2 Hours.) Normally, I use the fins and mask that I'm diving with to do this.

I've also gotten away from cold water diving, although I have the equipment (Dry Suit, etc.) I sort of miss it though. May start again.

On tropical trips I try to dive two dives in the AM and one in the PM. If I feel tired or there is rough water (large swells, etc.) I'll stay on board, especially on the PM Dive. I hate getting on a bouncing dive boat!

I like to go no deeper then 100 feet, unless there is a very good reason to go deeper (I like 40 to 60 range better.) I'll also use Nitrox if it is available. I really like to use it! :wink:

Nitrox is a help. It certainly helps my fatigue levels, thanks for your imput.

4%er Club

I'm aged 50 almost one...ish. 300+ dives/over last 6 years. Been diving off and on since I was a kid.

Any of you other 4 % ers notice than MOST of the live-aboards' majority passenger manifests are populated with mostly 4%Clubers'?

Ever notice that? I suspect, when you're young, you mostly exist in the red, if you know what I mean. 5 cert dives; spent the allowance; then nada mas.

The 4 % er Club rules! Kings of the hill STILL.

Any of you young'ins wish to square off?

Hit me with you best flame :) :) - right here in the 'ole imoticon.

texdiveguy:
Just sitting and thinking,,,,,,looked at the PADI stats page and found that of all the PADI cert. divers in the US in my age group of 50-54,,,that we made up only approx. 4%--gee!

Also I am just curious as to the break down of certf. levels in terms of %...... does anyone have an idea (OW,,AOW,,RESC......)??

AOW at 71. Where do I fit into the scheme? :eyebrow:

I got my OW in June last year at age 55, then AOW in September. Glad to see I'm not the only newbie old guy out there.

texdiveguy:

This is simply a question of time! What's the current birth rate in the States? :eyebrow: Everyone I know is only getting older.........including my kids.

Count me in the 4%! Started diving at 49 and got my Instructor cert at 51!

I don't know if I would have enjoyed or appreciated diving in my youth as much as I do now, in my "mature years"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom