Mapping IANTD courses to SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you’re looking for more tech type diving , Pinnacles Dive Center is just North of you in Novato and they have their own boat in Monterey, Rick teaches TDI and PADI. Your only other choice for more techy dives is going to be GUE / BAUE. After you do fundies you can pay your BAUE dues and try to jump on their rec charters. I’ve heard horror stories about people never getting on the rec boats, YMMV. I do recommend Beto , he’s a good instructor but you’ll probably have to wait a while until he has an opening.

Thanks for these specific pointers, I had no idea about Pinnacles Dive Center's TDI option. This is good to keep an eye out on. I have heard about Beto as the GUE fundies person in the Bay Area, he seems to have at least three offerings in December and January. Although, I have heard a lot of stories about how hard GUE fundies courses are so, I am okay with waiting a while and working up more basic skills before I get through that.

Thanks for these specific pointers, I had no idea about Pinnacles Dive Center's TDI option. This is good to keep an eye out on. I have heard about Beto as the GUE fundies person in the Bay Area, he seems to have at least three offerings in December and January. Although, I have heard a lot of stories about how hard GUE fundies courses are so, I am okay with waiting a while and working up more basic skills before I get through that.

Don’t let the perceived difficulty of fundies hold you back and don’t take the class expecting anything other than to learn. Just let go of the pressure and go have fun.

I’ve taken classes with Rick and Beto, they are very different but both have lots you can learn from. Ultimately it’s up to you to decide what you like and what you don’t.

Last option is to pm me, I’ll dive with you. I’m in Monterey every week.

Yeah, that makes sense.! I mean worst case, I fail, no biggy haha. Seems like that does happen often.

Last option is to pm me, I’ll dive with you. I’m in Monterey every week.
Thank you! I will reach out once I get my dry suit certs and my dry suit back from maintenance!

One word......... fundies.

Pass or fail you will come out a better diver. I never took it but wish I would have as a beginner.

Since you already have nitrox just add drysuit and you should have a very solid foundation for anything you want to do in the future.

Yeah, that makes sense.! I mean worst case, I fail, no biggy haha. Seems like that does happen often.

Thank you! I will reach out once I get my dry suit certs and my dry suit back from maintenance!
If you are going the fundies route, why not a GUE dry suit primer? That will help lay a foundation for fewer bad habits that need to be broken. I took fundies at close to 400 dives and had a lot of bad habits to break. Like someone else stated, I too wish I took it earlier.

Whether you continue the IANTD route or go with GUE, it looks like you have quality instructors locally available.

Interesting, I had no idea this was a thing! Although, I can only see one class on GUE's schedule but I assume I can just reach out to someone like Beto and ask them if they'd be up for teaching this class?

Interesting, I had no idea this was a thing! Although, I can only see one class on GUE's schedule but I assume I can just reach out to someone like Beto and ask them if they'd be up for teaching this class?
I'd suggest perusing this: Explore GUE Courses and have a discussion with the local instructors.

I'd suggest perusing this: Explore GUE Courses and have a discussion with the local instructors.

Our local instructor IS Beto ; next closest GUE instructors are in SoCal.

I highly recommend Beto, he is an excellent instructor. He is hard but he is good. It doesn’t matter if you pass or fail, you will leave his class with the knowledge to become a better diver.

Back
Top Bottom