"After-market" PC Interface for Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just realized that Jamie Iverston has stopped selling the interface for Suunto PC Interface.

Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price? Suunto original equipment is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I am aware of the Roli's site for DIY. However, I have absolutely no knowledge or skills to make one myself (I'll probably burn the house down with the soldering iron before I can build one).

Appreciate any help out there.

diver69:
Hi all,

I just realized that Jamie Iverston has stopped selling the interface for Suunto PC Interface.

Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price? Suunto original equipment is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I am aware of the Roli's site for DIY. However, I have absolutely no knowledge or skills to make one myself (I'll probably burn the house down with the soldering iron before I can build one).

Appreciate any help out there.

I picked one up on Ebay for US$25 including shipping from Hong Kong. From the pictures it looked like a quality product (I haven't received it yet--ordered it on Sunday). I usually solder my own for simpler projects such as this, but I don't have as much time recently.

Sean P

I also got one from eBay (from Hong Kong I believe). The entire circuit is connected directly to the serial connector. Only tested it once, but I was able to download the data from my Mosquito.

Thanks,
Brian

diver69:

Suunto original equipment is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I agree. I"ve had my stinger for 2 years now but haven't bought the interface. It's too bad because I'm missing one of the best features.

m7scuba:
I also got one from eBay (from Hong Kong I believe). The entire circuit is connected directly to the serial connector. Only tested it once, but I was able to download the data from my Mosquito.

Thanks,
Brian
I think I found the same one. Is there any danger of damaging your computer with this? The price is right, that's for sure.

got mine form ebay to for about $20 (from Hong Kong) works fine with my Mosquito - though i've only done a free dive to test, haven't done any proper long dives with it yet (snow skiing season down in the southern Hemisphere)

Z...

I have a Vyper and thinking of buying an interface as well. I also found the DIY website for the interface, but I know nuts about electronic!

Time to search Ebay!

By the way, how much does the original interface cost?

Cheers

I think the original goes for something like $150.

I found the Hong Kong seller on eBay too. The only thing is, I think the interface they have for Vyper requires you to hold on to the interface (manually maintain contact) and the computer. May be someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, how long does it usually take to download the data? I can't see myself holding on for any longer than 5 minutes.

I bought my first Suunto interface from someone on eBay. It was one where you had to hold it in place, and somewhat of a pain to use. If you let it move at all during the several minutes that it took to load the data, you'd get an error and have to start over.

When I started developing software for these, I wanted a genuine Suunto interface to test with. I was able to find one (new) on eBay for half price. It's much easier to use, as it does stay in by itself.

There are some people making aftermarket interfaces that will stay in place by themselves. This is a feature I wouldn't want to be without.

-Mark

$150 for some wires with connector?!

I can get myself a nice pair of fins...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom