After dive care of AA regs. 2nd stage soaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I always riinse and SOAK my regs adter a dive. According to the AA website, no AA 2nd stages should be submerged unless pressurized. I just read, however, that it's OK to submerge a 2nd stage as long as you don't submerge the 1st stage too.
My question is simple, is it ok to soak an UNPRESSURIZED (not connected to a tank) 2nd stage AA reg? If so, are there special precautions that need to be followed due to the seat saver in the 2nd stage? (I love alliteration!)
Thanks!

Basically you want to keep the second stage below the first so that the air in the hose will remain there thus keeping water from going up the hose and into the first stage.

FWIW I soak my first and second stage regs unpressurized all the time. I just make sure the second stage is below the first.

Last edited:
That's what I read on another post. I thought that I'd ask as AA says "not to submerge" the 2nd stage unless it's pressurized.
Thanks

When I bought my first AA I would drop the whole thing in the tub and soak over night. After a couple years I had the Reg serviced, tech said it was in great condition.

That said, I no longer do that. I bought a 6cu ft pony bottle, now I just connect it to the Reg and drop it all in the tub.

I just soak them separately. Stick just the 1st stage in for an hour or so, then swap until I'm ready to drain it.

I bought a 6cu ft pony bottle, now I just connect it to the Reg and drop it all in the tub.
That's a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom