Cleaning Deep Six regs after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
@cerich @LandonL

I have a question on cleaning regs after diving which I figured would be good to get answered straight from yall. After diving I understand that if the regs are on a tank and pressurized the whole shebang can be soaked in fresh water to loosen salt deposits. However, I was taught that when cleaning regs when you cant submerse them you rinse it all pressurized on the tank. once depressurized dry and remove the first stage, and put the dust cap on. Then you can continue to rinse always holding the first stage above the second stages, and never push the purge when rinsing or soaking if the set is not pressurized. Being a traveling diver when I get home I want to do a really thorough cleaning before they are put away for an extended time frame. I do not have a tank I can put them on. Is it ever ok to make sure the dustcap is securely seated and closed and then soak them in a tub to make sure salt deposits get dissolved? I got conflicting answers on this when asking a few people. One DM said sure no problem and other said no way, my previous training says no way. If it is ok is one safer than the other, DIN vs Yoke. The DIN cap would seem to be a more secure watertight seal. I am also curious about the never push the purge rule. If the first stage is truly sealed water tight no water should be able to travel into it right, unless the 1st is lower than the second and you release the air from the line when pushing the purge?

@cerich @LandonL

I have a question on cleaning regs after diving which I figured would be good to get answered straight from yall. After diving I understand that if the regs are on a tank and pressurized the whole shebang can be soaked in fresh water to loosen salt deposits. However, I was taught that when cleaning regs when you cant submerse them you rinse it all pressurized on the tank. once depressurized dry and remove the first stage, and put the dust cap on. Then you can continue to rinse always holding the first stage above the second stages, and never push the purge when rinsing or soaking if the set is not pressurized. Being a traveling diver when I get home I want to do a really thorough cleaning before they are put away for an extended time frame. I do not have a tank I can put them on. Is it ever ok to make sure the dustcap is securely seated and closed and then soak them in a tub to make sure salt deposits get dissolved? I got conflicting answers on this when asking a few people. One DM said sure no problem and other said no way, my previous training says no way. If it is ok is one safer than the other, DIN vs Yoke. The DIN cap would seem to be a more secure watertight seal. I am also curious about the never push the purge rule. If the first stage is truly sealed water tight no water should be able to travel into it right, unless the 1st is lower than the second and you release the air from the line when pushing the purge?
i have rinsed un pressurized in warm water, it the cap is on secure you should be fine.

agree on hitting purge.. would take some work to get water all the way up hose into first stage to say the least, also no reason to press the purge anyhow.

One thing with deep6 signature... they come with proper dust cap from the start.

Ive been rincing them unpressurized since they are new. I agree on leaving the purge untouched.

Rinsing I am fine with as I do that every dive but soaking totally submerged in say a bathtub for an hour, that's what I am really wondering.

Rinsing I am fine with as I do that every dive but soaking totally submerged in say a bathtub for an hour, that's what I am really wondering.
maybe I wasn't clear, I soak them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom