Aeris 750 GT "fresh water or salt water"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver62

New
Reaction score
I just purchased the 750 GT , I'm looking forward to using it this year.

I saw in the manual that if I dive 2000 ft above sea level it would automatically adjust itself for "Fresh Water Diving".

80% of my dives are in freshwater springs in north Florida , does this mean that the data that the 750 gt will supply me with are incorrect. If so , is there anything I can do , to compensate for the difference? How do I set it up for fresh water diving? Or is this just a stupid question on my part.

Thanks
Rick

Rick_Klementovich@Datacard.com

Well, if it's calibrated for saltwater, you'll get slightly inaccurate readings for actual depth. For instance, when it reads 33 feet you'll be closer to 34 feet from the surface.

The good news is that this is ok. The depth guage is really only there to measure ambient pressure at that depth.. so while you're in 34 feet of fresh water, you're at 33 feet for your dive tables and computer calculations.

Diving at altitude, as noted in a previous post where I was corrected, is different, because there's a significant difference in surface pressure. Still, fresh vs salt depth readings are mostly academic.

Actually, from the factory most dive computers are calibrated at sea level in fresh water so you don't have anything to worry about. Also, with a dive at 2000 feet the likelyhood of it being a salt water dive is pretty small so the computer calculates it as a fresh water dive.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom