Advise needed : 6 days vacation for dive and non dive family members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roman_66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I plan to go to 6-7 days vacation in Florida with non dive family members. Preferable stay in hotel close to the beach, good for elders and babies, if possible with kitchen.
Hotel not longer than 1 hour drive from major airport with direct flight from Dallas.
Planned time April 4-11 2015.
I need dive shop around to rent tank and weights and with possibility to find a buddy. How it works in US dive shops if I don't have a buddy ?
Preferable tech or DIR oriented to not confuse staff with my B/P, wing, long hose and DIN connections.
It will be great if will be possible to rent double. I like Nitrox 32 if available.
I don't like caves and wrecks, prefer corals and fishes.
The big bonus can be GUE oriented shop where I can upgrade my GUE-F rec to GUE-F tech and maybe do other GUE course.

The Florida destination can be replaced by any other destination within US that has sunny weather, warm water during this season and more or less the same budget.

Any suggestions/recommendation will be appreciated, as I never did such vacation in US.

Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Tons of Mom-and-Pops w/ kitchenettes and a Publix. You're not likely to confuse anybody with your "B/P, wing, long hose and DIN connections", well, unless you're in a Publix or maybe a bank.

Last edited:
Preferable stay in hotel close to the beach...

Hotel not longer than 1 hour drive from major airport with direct flight from Dallas...

Not sounding like Key Largo, unfortunately.

Judging from some Google Maps work, you'd be pushing a hour slightly heading to Jupiter, shouldn't have a problem with West Palm Beach, and people do dive the Pompano/Ft. Lauderdale area and Boynton Beach, too.

These destinations are different. Here's a thread on Distinctive Florida & Caribbean Dive Destinations, which discusses some qualities of Jupiter vs. West Palm Beach. Here's my Jupiter Trip Report from Sept. 2014. Jupiter Dive Center wouldn't be phased by your DIN or BP/W & long-hose, I figure (they do some tech. boat trips), and they can offer EAN 36. When it's '90 feet to the sand,' that's a good mix. I'm concerned Jupiter wouldn't fit your lush coral reef desires. Check out some Jupiter dive videos on YouTube; that'll show you what the growth on the rather flat rocky ledges looks like. Then you can judge.

If you read my trip report from Jupiter and decide against it, tell us what's lacking there.

Oh, the hotel I stayed at fronted the intracoastal, but it wasn't a sandy beach, and that nice pier runs out over very shallow water. Jupiter Beach Resort was the pricier, more upscale but actually beach front, sand, etc..., option that I considered. I don't usually see kitchens in upscale hotels, though; you can check. A nice local state park with a lagoon with a shallow area young kids can enjoy is Dubois State Park, if memory serves (my wife took out little daughter). I linked you to Trip Advisor's page on it.

Jupiter is not a real big place with a lot of major tourist attractions (e.g.: no Sea World or Busch Gardens). West Palm Beach is real close. In fact, stay somewhere along that way, and you could try both, and Blue Heron Bridge.

Richard.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2015 at 10:34 PM ----------

P.S.: I assumed you'd fly into Ft. Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport. See if you can fly directly there.

Thank you evad and drrich2.
There is direct not expensive flights from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale.
I just thought that will be more options around Miami.
Why did you exclude "Key Largo" ? No hotels with good beach?
According to maps.google.com it is about 1 hour from Miami airport to "Key Largo" by car.
On "Jupiter Dive Center" dive shop sites pretty difficult to understand how big and nice their reefs.
I read few posts that "Key Largo" is more popular place for diving, I just afraid if it is not about wrecks and caves only.
What maybe water temperature April 3-10 in "Key Largo" and "Jupiter" ?

When I hit Key Largo, I was told I could fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, and that Miami's closer but by the time I dealt with various hassles travel time would be about the same. I like easy, so I flew to Ft. Lauderdale.

Here's my trip report from Sept. 2013 to Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. 20 Dives in 5 days, about the cheapest I've done, guided at no added charge, a mix of deep wrecks & shallow reef diving, plenty fishy, with the benefits of mainland Florida topside attractions within a 3 hour drive. The upper Keys have a stronger rep. for scuba diving (e.g.: Key Largo, Islamorada) than Key West, from what I hear & read. There's a lot to recommend to recommend Key Largo. Here's an old thread with suggestions for non-diving family members on a Florida Key's trip. Here's a 10-day Keys Diving Itinerary thread where someone wanting a beach came up.

I excluded it with you since I don't associate Key Largo with beach. I'm also a little confused trying to get a handle on what you want.

Preferable tech or DIR oriented to not confuse staff with my B/P, wing, long hose and DIN connections.
It will be great if will be possible to rent double. I like Nitrox 32 if available.
I don't like caves and wrecks, prefer corals and fishes.
The big bonus can be GUE oriented shop where I can upgrade my GUE-F rec to GUE-F tech and maybe do other GUE course.

Florida Keys reef diving is shallow. Hard for me to imagine something diving Molasses Reef with manifolded doubles. Not on dives where your max. depth might not exceed 40 feet and average around 20?

You can get deep diving in the Keys, but then you're looking at wrecks like the Spiegel Grove (3 of my 20 dives) & Duane (1) & Bibb (haven't done it). And then be careful you book a boat with tec. divers; does you no good to dive with doubles if everyone else is on an AL 80 & the captain says be back in an hour.

As for getting a buddy, a lot of people show up, head out, and get assigned an instabuddy on the boat. If you're not picky and willing to make do, this usually works okay. If you're a big stickler for buddy procedure, maybe not...

I'm told Miami is big on wreck diving, but that doesn't look to be your thing.

Richard.

P.S.: Often people traveling with non-divers have a range of desires and have to compromise & give up some things. Great diving is often not near beautiful sandy beach, though it can be done; Curacao and perhaps St. Croix if you like shore diving? Jupiter Dive Center in Florida wouldn't be thrown by DIN and have nitrox; they even do some tec. boat trips (I saw one the 5 days I dove there; I think djtimmy was on it. I was on the rec. boat, though). Best of luck with your planning, but I think you're going to have to give up some things.

P.S. #2: I'm not sure how reliably sunny with warm water even south Florida is in early April. How warm is warm?

P.S. #3: If I were you, I'd think about West Palm Beach, for often lauded good boat diving. I'd also make a decision; is this mainly a fun diving trip, or a GUE Fundamentals 'upgrade to tec.' course trip? If you have to base location on spending a lot of time near a GUE instructor, that's going to limit you further.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 08:36 PM ----------

I read few posts that "Key Largo" is more popular place for diving, I just afraid if it is not about wrecks and caves only.

Not caves. Some wrecks, but they're not the main draw. If you want caves, I believe they tend to be freshwater and on the mainland; not something I follow.

Key Largo is mostly about shallow fishy coral reef diving. The huge reef with multiple sites is called Molasses Reef, but you will likely hit French and maybe Conch Reef at some point. These, 2, are big and have more than one site.

Richard.

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 08:42 PM ----------

Key West water temp. averages by month (Key Largo shouldn't be a lot colder) - this link.

Average water temp. March 75, April 79, so figure mid. to upper 70's when you go, but no guarantees?

Scuba-Fun Dive Center's site has this blurb:

When is the best time of year to go diving in Key Largo?
The best time of year to go diving in Key Largo is year-round. Underwater visibility depends on the distance of the Gulf Stream and the strength of the wind, and both are not predictable and not seasonal.
Winter (December - February): sometimes windy and choppy, visibility mostly good to very good, water temperature 20-22 C, 69-76 F
Spring (March - April): less windy, sometimes choppy, visibility mostly good to very good, water temperature 24-26 C, 75-79 F
Summer (May - September): rarely windy, mostly calm seas, hurricane season starts mid-June, visibility mostly good to very good, water temperature 27-33 C, 83-87 F
Fall (October - November): rarely windy, mostly calm seas, hurricane season until mid-November, visibility mostly good to very good, water temperature 27-30 C, 76-82 F
Click here for our highs and lows in the Keys.

+1 for Key Largo. It is great diving there. If you stay near Ft lauderdale, you will be in the Gulf Stream and fighting the currents. It is worth the drive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom