Advice required on dry suit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Sea Reefer

Registered
Reaction score
I recently took the plunge and started diving in the UK for which I purchased a dry suit. The suit has latex neck and wrist seals that feel tight but not overly so. The problem is that after a day's diving I always get a nasty scab where the neck seal has rubbed. I am reluctant to cut the seal down as it does not feel too tight and already leaks a little. Does anyone have any good suggestions that will protect my neck without reducing the efficacy of the seal. short of toughening up my skin with surgical spirit?

• You may have a latex allergy - this can be dangerous underwater. Consider having a doctor look at the sore spot and evaluate.
  • If the seal is rubbing it may be that it's too loose - not too tight. They aren't supposed to slide around on your skin, that's one of the way that leaks happen.

Steven

Thanks for the response. If I had an allergy to latex, would I not expect to get a reaction on around my cuff seals or would the tougher skin around my wrists prevent this?

I has the same problem with my new drysuit. It would rub the skin raw on a spot at the front of my throat. It made for very uncomfortable dives in salt water because of the open cut.

My problem was not to do with the seal being too loose it was to do using talc on the seal. What was happening was that the talc was causing the seal to stick to my skin so when I moved my head around the friction was causing the seal to rub my throat. I use KY jelly on my neck seal now instead of talc and find that helps a lot with allowing the latex of the seal to slide freely over my skin without breaking the seal or damaging the latex :wink:

Hi Phish-phood

Thanks for this suggestion. I will give the KY a try next time. I am sure my chemist will believe me when I tell her what I am buying it for!!

and just tell them it is for "Recreational Purposes Only!"
:D
Remember a big smile helps you pull this one off. :D

Phish-phood once bubbled...
I has the same problem with my new drysuit. It would rub the skin raw on a spot at the front of my throat. It made for very uncomfortable dives in salt water because of the open cut.

My problem was not to do with the seal being too loose it was to do using talc on the seal. What was happening was that the talc was causing the seal to stick to my skin so when I moved my head around the friction was causing the seal to rub my throat. I use KY jelly on my neck seal now instead of talc and find that helps a lot with allowing the latex of the seal to slide freely over my skin without breaking the seal or damaging the latex :wink:
  • Talc turns to an adhesive mud when it gets wet, versus KY which is water soluble and simply goes away. Round 1: KY
  • Talc without fragrances and silicates is sometimes hard to find, KY is available at any pharmacy. Round 2: KY
  • Dive shop talc is more expensive than KY. Round 3: KY
  • Nobody ever started a conversation because they saw two big tubes of talc rolling around in your backseat. Round 4: KY

Baby shampoo also works well as a seal lubricant and is an excellent defogger. Its cheap, its available and its means one less thing in the dive bag.

Steven

Alternatively go on to the Boots chemist website where you have the choice of KY jelly in a tube, a tub or in lotion form in a bottle and all can be specially gift wrapped for Christmas :wink:

It looks like KY is the answer to all my prayers! I am sure it will help my dry suit problem as well. Thanks for the advice.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom