Advice requested: Packing scuba gear for air travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I overly worried about the regs? Should I just wrap up the regs in some clothing, sandwich them between the BCDs, and arrange our fins around them to provide protection from bumps and squishing?

Any scuba gear packing trips you'd like to share?

My carry on gets my prescription mask, computer, one or both lights (torches).

That's been an issue in Mexico for years now. I used to hate having to pack my primary light in checked luggage on return, but it is what it is.

Seems to be more random? I always put all batteries in carryon and have never had an issue returning from COZ/CUN. OTOH returning from Grand Cayman, I have been summoned by authorities before boarding to remove secured batteries from checked luggage.

my 2 cents: all batteries and electronics go in carryon along with camera gear totaling about 50 pounds. In checked soft rolling duffle: Regs are wrapped in wetsuit. Mask in fin foot pocket.
Occasionally, when returning home, there is some residual moisture in my gear which gets me over the checked bag weight limit. In that case, I put the regs in my carryon.

Use what you have to help protect what you have,fins harden the sides, clothes under plus wetsuit for the reg, backplate on top (where the big metal thing can be checked easily if need be.)
View attachment 661560 View attachment 661561

This is very much how I pack my gear. OMS Slipstream fins in the sides to provide rigidity, BCD (deflated) along the bottom, regs (in padded case) in the middle of the bag with everything else packed in around them. Two masks in original plastic cases. Exposure protection generally goes on top for a little extra padding and I wear my computer on my wrist.

Packing for our first scuba trip.

We've got soft sided rolling duffels to put our gear in (along with our other vacation stuff.)

Given that airline baggage handlers are not gentle with luggage, I want to do what I can to ensure my gear arrives intact.

The camera is going in the carry on. Spare batteries are going in the carry on. Dive computer going in the carry on. Masks have reasonably sturdy plastic cases, so they're going in the checked bags.

I'm considering putting our regulators in my carry on. The first stage is steel, and unlikely to break, but I worry about the plastic second stages and the attached integrated air transmitters.

Am I overly worried about the regs? Should I just wrap up the regs in some clothing, sandwich them between the BCDs, and arrange our fins around them to provide protection from bumps and squishing?

Any scuba gear packing trips you'd like to share?
I roll my wetsuit, beginning with the ankles. Once I get to the end, I fold the arms over. Fins: keep the original arches to protect the fin pocket. A little bit of air in the wing to stop any pinching. Regs/ computer/lights, store in overhead compartment on the plane.

Back
Top Bottom