Advice requested: Packing scuba gear for air travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always check my gear. I know there’s a risk that it’ll get lost, but as a last resort you can always rent gear till it shows up. Things like mask and computer are easy to carry onboard, so I do.

Unless weight is an issue, I check my regulators. I have carried them onboard when flying airasia, but especially if you aren’t in a diving area, they can often draw concern from TSA and having to unpack them, go through an additional check and repack isn’t worth the stress for me. Also even in some diving locations like the Philippines, they technically aren’t allowed onboard, and do you want to find yourself in a situation where you’re arguing with security if they decide you’re the guy they wanna be sticky with rules on for that day? I’ll just avoid the hassle.

We use soft rolling sports bags, fins and BCD on the bottom, to form a bit of a stiff barrier, regs and mask next, neoprene items and clothes on top and around sides. Computers on wrists, anything with batteries (laptop, iPad, PLB, camera) in carry on.

I've heard some have worn their BC onto the plane to save luggage space.

One of my tech buddies wore his rEvo without tanks when we visited Sri Lanka a few years ago, nobody bothered, but my camera gear was given a going over.

I use hard shell suitcases too, no "I AM A DIVER" stickers to advertise it contains dive gear. Regs are checked in and only my camera gear + computers + batteries and a spare mask are carry on.

I agree, that's what TSA rules say. Funny thing coming back from Cozumel last month: one of my buddies had a small bag of alkaline batteries in his carryon. The security people confiscated it, said that no batteries of any kind were allowed in the carryon..
That's been an issue in Mexico for years now. I used to hate having to pack my primary light in checked luggage on return, but it is what it is.

Never understood the reason to put so many fancy stickers on the check bag to advertise the content or old luggage stickers/tags!
When your luggage do get misplaced the authority would had hard time to match or even overlook the number on the tags!!!!
After custom check I will remove all the labels on my check bag!!! I do not want to advertise that I had just arrived in a strange country.

We use "soft" bags to reduce the total amount of weight.
Fins go on the bottom. Our wing, regs, mask etc. then go in a drysuit bag which we place on top of the fins. Usually we wrap the regs in a towel for some extra "protection". We use the neoprene items (boots, suit) and our clothes to fill up the spaces around the sides. Camera housing and dome ports usually go in the bag as well, surrounded by as much clothes / soft stuff as possible. Computers, laptop, camera go in the carryon.

We have done this plenty of times and never had an issue. Once our luggage once was delayed for 2 days because of a power failure at the airport during check-in. We then decided to rent some equipment till our own arrived.

I usually check everything except my dive computer, and I have checked that too. Occasionally I have taken reg sets apart so that I can store the 2nd stages in protective containers, (or just in a sock stuffed into a fin pocket) and it does help a little with packing things nice and flat.

I don't really worry about my dive gear, the only thing that has caused me any anxiety was packing away my HID canister light, which I no longer have.

Higher mass (weight/volume), more expensive and less durable, and might need to explain to TSA (regs, computer, lights): checked

Bulkier lower mass, hard to damage (exposure protection, BCD, fins): checked

I've always put my mask in checked, but might move it to carry on in case of lost checked bag -- I'm can live with rental BCD, wetsuit, fins, but want my own regs and computer.

My tech light manufacturer has a travel data sheet that shows battery pack specs and TSA requirements to print and carry with light to show the TSA inspector in case of questions.

Honestly do you really believe all those confiscated items would be ending in the land field?

In the US... yes. I would bet it all gets thrown in a dumpster and ends up being trucked to a landfill. That's just procedure.

Other countries... hopefully people are more sensible.

Several years back I was boarding a cruise ship in Puerto Rico. I had packed some scuba stuff, including my regulator and a small double sided open end wrench that fit my regulator hoses. Security caught the wrench... guests aren't allowed to have tools on a cruise ship (which makes sense... I just didn't think about it.) I asked what was going to happen to the wrench and the security person said they were required to throw it away (also makes sense... they're not allowed to confiscate things from luggage and keep them.)

The thought of that wrench (it was a nice one...) going in the trash was so offensive to me I had to do something. I asked if I could have it back, they gave me a funny look, told me I couldn't board the ship with it. I pointed out that they weren't allowed to keep it, but I should be allowed to give it away. They agreed, handed it to me, I stepped out of line and found a group of taxi drivers killing time. I asked them who wanted a wrench... first one with his hand in up got the wrench.

I didn't mind losing the wrench; I'm sure it went to a good home.

Higher mass (weight/volume), more expensive and less durable, and might need to explain to TSA (regs, computer, lights): checked"

opps, meant to say "Higher mass (weight/volume), more expensive and less durable, and might need to explain to TSA (regs, computer, lights): carry on"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom