Advice Requested - Compact Environmentally-Sealed Diaphragm 1st Stages for Travel - BM Single and Pony use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt you are looking at these but we love them for local and travel. I have Scubapro and perfer the Aqualung Mikron. I tried the Deep6 Scribble and sold them. We use the Mikron for primary and pony.

Service of the first stage is very easy. The second is a bit more complicated with the work of breathing adjustment but no more so then any regulator with this feature. Kits are available on Ebay and elsewhere. I have ordered (not AL brand) kits from VDH and Northeast Scuba.

At this point I'm hesitant to go with anything not fully sealed. (I would have probably have made an exception for the MK11T at $400)

I'm just back from a BlackBeard's trip where everything stewed through a week of salt dips and no rinsing, much less soaking. Maybe I'm over-worrying?

Weight-wise the MK17/Tusa R-700 looks similar to the D2 and the FT1. For now I'm looking for those. (For Trade - Wanted: DIN HOG D2, D6 Scribble/Excursion & Yoke Dive Rite FT1 1st stages For My: HOG DIN D1 1sts, Zenith 2nds, ...)

Depending on what pops up, I may reevaluate the MK11 and Mikron. (@uncfnp - I actually bought a set when we first got certified, but exchanged it when DIN-only tanks, and mucky quarry diving became the immediate need).

Thanks all! I'll be churning it over in my mind further as I see what is available.

Place the regulator in your pocket when boarding a plane. As for pony roll... I suggest you move the slings around. And I agree with the other posts to keep the Hog.

The smallest and lightest enviro-sealed balanced diaphragm first stage that I know of offhand is the AL Core.

N

OK, I was convinced they are of appropriate durability for the intended conditions and drank the SP Koolaid. :oops: MK11s it is. Primarily very light MK11s ... :eek::wink::cool:

Did you choose the Mk11 over the Mk17 simply because it's lighter? I ask because I'm in the same boat.

Did you choose the Mk11 over the Mk17 simply because it's lighter? I ask because I'm in the same boat.
Size is smaller as well, but not the deciding factor.

Port arrangement, I think the parallel LP ports will work better for me than the "Star" style of the 17Evo

Weight Oh Yes! - but particulary because I made an "investment" in my dive-travel future (Please don't disabuse me of my invetment belief - I need it to keep my sanity :whistling:)

From the figures that I found published, measured, or calculated - so approximate:

Code:
-        DIN    Yoke
HOG D1:  1.785        (Current Pony Reg)
HOG D3:  1.709  2.02  (Current BG Reg)
HOG D2:  1.4    1.7
DR FT1:  1.45
Mk17Evo: 1.4    1.9
Mk11     1.08   1.56  (Backup configured in yoke, w/ the "T" A frame - Est. 1.3 lbs)
Mk11T    0.72   1.01  (Pending Pony and BG Regs)

My Current travel 1sts: (1) D3-yoke + (2) D1-DIN + (1) DIN-Yoke Adapter -> Approx 6lbs
Set I am working on: (1) Mk11T-DIN + (1) Mk11T-Yoke + (1) Mk11-TYoke -> Approx 3lbs and notably smaller.

If you are looking for the Mk17, you might want to consider a Tusa-R700 as it is like the pre-Evo 17 from what I found.

Yes (2) Titanium 11Ts with yoke and DIN setups for both.

They came available here during the course of this thread - which had me change course after some further inquiries about their suitability.

Someday I'll be able to afford food and to do the travel part again. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom