Advice regarding diving in the Phillippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orenr

New
Reaction score
# of dives
My brother and I (both experienced DM’s) are planning a 20 day diving trip in the Philippines. Our trip is planned for end of October till mid November. The focus of the trip is diving, 3-4-5 dives a day would be a dream. Though we are not tight budget travelers, we are both adventurous and can use local transportation and basic accommodations.
As this is the rainy season, we understood live abroad are out of the question. Is that so?
We would be glad to receive recommendations, especially regarding preferred locations for this time of year and special unique places.
We are currently considering two routes and would be glad to receive recommendations (personal preferences, weather, transportation, connections to people… ):
Northern route:
1. Coron – 3-4 days of wreck diving
2. Pandan – 1 day and as a base point for Apo Reef
3. Apo Reef – 2-3 days à is it possible to reach the reef at this time of year from Pandan? Do you believe we could find people in Pandan that would like to share a boat?
4. Porto Galera – 2-3 days
5. Verda Island 2-3 days
6. Anilo diving and rock climbing
Southern Route
1. Siqujar – 2-3 days
2. Dormaguette 2-3 days
3. Apo Island – 2-3 days
4. Moal Boal – 2-3 days
5. Alon Beach -3 days
6. Cabilio Island – If time permits
7. Malapascua 3 days
Thanks,

Oren Rasooli

Hi Oren,

Sounds like you are set for a great trip. I think that most folks here are going to say that on either of those routes you are trying to hit too many detinations. You need to factor in a day of travel between each location, even the close ones. And Pandan, Apo Reef, and Coron are all relatively complex to get to.

On the northern route I'd go for Anilao, PG(Verde on a day trip), and Apo reef - if you can get there. You could add Subic.

On the southern route if you stay in Dumaguete for 4-5 days you can get a day trip to Apo and probably to Siquijor as well.I'd say skip Cabilao and just do Alona. So that leaves you with a 4 location trip - Duma, Alona, Moalboal and Malapascua. Which is doable, 4 days in each with a day to travel between each makes 20 days - TADA! Look up Liquid in Dumaguete, Philippine Fun Divers in Alona, Roger(Outer-reef on here) for Moalboal. And let me know if you need help for Malapascua.

You shouldn't have any trouble with weather at that time of year, but it can also mess with your travel plans due to lots of boats being involved.

Enjoy!

Oren,

Good advice from Matt Reed. For a 20-day journey, I also think that you and your brother are trying to do too much within too few days. Here's what I recommend if you want both a Northern and Southern Itineray:
Day 1: Fly into Manila
Day 2: Travel to Anilao (3 to 4 hours depending on mode of transportation).
Day 3 to Day 5: Dive Anilao and do some rock climbing
Day 6: Travel to Batangas Pier. Hop on ferry to Puerto Galera
Day 7 to Day 10: Dive Puerto Galera. Verde island will be a day trip from Sabang.
Day 11: Ferry back to Batangas and travel back to Manila.
Day 12: Catch flight to Cebu and travel to Malapascua
Day 13 to 15: Dive Malapascua
Day 16: Travel to Moalboal
Day 17 to 19: Dive Moalboal
Day 20: Travel from Moalboal to Cebu. Catch flight to Manila
Day 21: Fly out of Manila and head back home.

For a more relaxing and enjoyable trip, I recommend to just keep it all within your Southern itinerary. Here's how I imagine it would be:
Day 1: Fly into Manila.
Day 2: Catch flight to Dumaguete
Day 3 to 6: Dive Dauin, Dumaguete (take day trips to Apo Island). If you are not into muck diving, head straight to Apo Island. Stay and dive around the island.
Day 7: Go back to Dumaguete and catch a ferry to Moalboal Cebu
Day 8 to 10: Dive Moalboal
Day 11: Travel to Malapascua
Day 12 to 14: Dive Malapascua
Day 15: Travel to Cebu and hop on a ferry to Tagbilaran, Bohol and tricycle or van to Alona Beach
Day 16 to 18: Dive Balicasag Island from Alona Beach. Also do house reefs.
Day 19: Travel back to Manila from Tagbilaran (by air)
Day 20: Fly out of Manila

+1 The philippines cannot be 'done' in a month. Better to do it by region ie. Manila and surrounding area or Cebu (and surrounding area). Dumaguete IMO is great for social life and great diving.

Have fun

Thanks guys for all the help.

A few quick questions:
1. Is it possible to reach Apo reef this time of year and if so how would you recommended doing that?
2. How is the visibility in Coron this time of year?
3. How is land travel during rainy days? is sea travel possible?
Didn’t mention it in the previous post, but I have some diving experience in the Philippines. My main concern for this trip is the weather.
PS. If anyone in the area and wants to join us we would be happy to meet new people and travel together.
Thanks again for all the assistance.

Oren

Thanks guys for all the help.

A few quick questions:
1. Is it possible to reach Apo reef this time of year and if so how would you recommended doing that?
2. How is the visibility in Coron this time of year?
3. How is land travel during rainy days? is sea travel possible?
Didn’t mention it in the previous post, but I have some diving experience in the Philippines. My main concern for this trip is the weather.
PS. If anyone in the area and wants to join us we would be happy to meet new people and travel together.
Thanks again for all the assistance.

Oren

Hi Oren,

Weather is always a gamble in Oct and November, but in general you should not have too many problems with the buses or sea/ferry travel unless there is a tropical storm or typhoon in the area.

I believe you will have a problem getting to APO Reef in Oct/Nov. I think it is better Jan through June.

I have dived Coron in November, and the vis was a maybe 8-10meters outside the wrecks (it had been raining) but it was still enjoyable.

Again, travel has always been reliable. However if there is a storm warning ferry schedules maybe negatively affected.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Roger

Hi Oren,

I will be in the Philippines at the same time. If your in the same area at the same time, drop me a PM

Bohol November 10-14
Cebu November 15
Malapascua November 16-22
Apo/Sumilon November 23-26

If you a wreck diver, i highly recommend the wrecks near Coron. You wont regret it. I spent a few months in the area. There are 6 huge wrecks all very close to each other. Lots of things to see :wink:

Manila, Coron, Cebu.
And then Malapascua, back to Cebu for the ferry to Bohol, Dumaguete(Apo Island and Siquijor) and Moalboal and finally back to Cebu for the flight to Manila.
The only backtracking is from Malapascua to Cebu.
Apo Reef is nice but getting there is too time consuming and it is just not worth the bother. Your choice.
Fly to San Jose from Manila and then to Pandan. You can also travel down from Puerto Galera by road but........

Just back yesterday from an overnight trip to Cabilao (slept on board) from Cebu. Sea was ok depsite the overcast weather and a bit of rain (it took us 3 hours from Cebu with our banca). Visibility at 10-15 meters. We left at 4pm and came back at 4pm the following day (one night dive and 3 day dives). If you have 24 hours, we can try to have this arranged for you and your brother. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom