Advice PLEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My advice would be to have a very complete breifing before hand. Go over all hand signals, lost buddy plan and such. During the dive stay shallow and never leave your buddy's side. I've done a lot of that type of diving and I am extra careful and alert until I get some idea of how good the person is.

Scott

See if you can get your friend to the pool before the weekend and check him out yourself.

When was the last time you went out ? Treat yourself to the pool as well.You guessed it , take the newly certified diver with you.

I trained a lady a couple of years back, brought her husband along who had been diving for 20 years but had not seen the water in 5 years. Guess who had the better skills ?

If you guessed the lady , you win .

This should answer any doughts.

Ron

Originally posted by scuberd
I am going diving with a rookie right out of his OW class this week and with a friend who hasn't been diving in 2 yrs. I know the dive sites, they are both baby dives no deeper than 40'

I can handle leading this dive, but I was wondering if any of you old timers had some words of wisdom for me

I don't like diving in a trio even with experienced divers. Most of the time someone is not looking out for the diver they are supposed to be. And it sounds like you'd almost be looking out for two divers who could encounter problems.

A review is order for your friend who hasn't been in the water for 2 years (heck if it was only 1 year, I'd still be saying it).

If you insist on going ahead. Plan, plan, plan out your dives. Signals, how you will be diving, who's looking out for who, termination (at what psi, or condition). As was suggested by Fishkiller, during your SI discuss the first dive, and be honest - if things went wrong state them, and how they could have been avoid, but if things whent right praise, praise them!

Thanks for all of your advice. I just got back, and it went off without a hitch. The friend who needed a refresher didn't go, and the Rookie and I had lots of fun. Thanks for all of your input, I will put it to use in the future

Where did you people get the idea that if you haven' t dived for two years that you were now stupid? It is just like riding a bike, you never forget. I have gone much longer than two years between dives and I can still dive very safely. And that is using the old dive equipment, without all the safety devices used today.
I dived under ice, and 150 ft. deep and a long way from shore and to worry about a qualified diver with me was silly. I started diving in 1960.

clarencio

Originally posted by clarencio
Where did you people get the idea that if you haven' t dived for two years that you were now stupid?

I started diving in 1960.
Well clarencio....

You have been away a long time and are obviously unaware of what has been happening in diver training during your absence....

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Well clarencio....

You have been away a long time and are obviously unaware of what has been happening in diver training during your absence....

:rolleyes:

Well said Uncle.

Clarencio, we're not saying a person who has been away from diving is stupid. At least I'm not. Like any skill, if you don't constantly apply it you may forget a vital bit that may just save your life - or that of your buddy's. I've seen divers who have been absent from diving for even 6 months who have forgotten how to properly assemble their kit, what basic dive signals mean (like up, down and OK).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom