Advice PLEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am going diving with a rookie right out of his OW class this week and with a friend who hasn't been diving in 2 yrs. I know the dive sites, they are both baby dives no deeper than 40'

I can handle leading this dive, but I was wondering if any of you old timers had some words of wisdom for me

Originally posted by scuberd
I am going diving

but I was wondering if any of you old timers had some words of wisdom for me
Well since you have already committed to this dive I don't suppose I do....

However if you had said, "I was thinking about .... what do you think?"

The I would have had some real words of wisdom for you.

"a friend who hasn't been diving in 2 yrs." a refresher course would be nice...

then

Are you ready to dive "alone"? being fresh out of OW class that student might be of some assistance when you found yourself in a quandry.. the other might not even reconize a problem.

Now I have dove with both types and consider myself capable of handling the situations that might arise, why? that is because I watch the other divers(for the first dive), when ask to lead them around, I make sure that they stay in my hip pocket, when following I stay in theirs.. then as their abilities are proven to myself I then watch for other things underwater...

on the SI we have a nice discussion about their skills, thus making the next dive better.

Pug may be willing to spare your feelings, but I'm not.

You do two things.

1. Tell your friend to take a refresher course or he's not diving with you. His safety is too important for you to take chances.

2. Go diving with the newly certified diver one on one. You might be diving with someone who actually learned how to dive, in which case you'll have fun. You will probably be diving with an accident waiting to happen. Keep things calm, slow and easy and you should be ok.

There's a lot of wisdom in Walter's response please take it to heart.

Have you seen any of the two divers in the water, their ability? If not, you are putting yourself in a DM position. Can you handle that, in case something hits the fan? Definately a refresher for the one that didn't dive for two years. If he refuses, you know his attitude.

When I first got certified, I dove with a dive club until I was comfortable enough with my own diving. I then went diving with my regular buddy, who hadn't been diving for 5 years. The night before I quizzed him to make sure he knew his stuff, and on the dive [20 ft] I had _him_ lead. That way I could keep my eye on him the whole time.

-Jeff

Remember - you're only a leader if you're being followed.

I'd be pretty nervous about having both of them along - either one of them, individually, would probably be OK - but I see all sorts of opportunities to see the dive go awry tracking two unknowns.

Dive Safe & Have a rock-solid plan!

I'm not trying to be harsh but the information in your profile says you do not have the training to handle the situation you are about to put yourself in. Dive with the new diver, make a second dive if he's safe. Don't let the second diver coerce the new diver into diving with him until he's completed some sort of refresher course.
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom