Advice on Wing/BP brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a couple brands have 8kg/18lb wings. there is also the extreme of using a dive rite 10lb trim pillow as a sm bladder in a diy setup.

a couple brands have 8kg/18lb wings. there is also the extreme of using a dive rite 10lb trim pillow as a sm bladder in a diy setup.

But if I dive with more equipment (scientific diving), do you think a 8kg/18lbs wing will be enough lift?

But if I dive with more equipment (scientific diving), do you think a 8kg/18lbs wing will be enough lift?
You can always trim off the dead weight to compensate for the additional mass. But if you are thinking to do cold water diving in the future then the 18lb wing could be too small. In cold water diving it is the thermal protection that ultimately decide how much weight you will require = size of the wing.
18lb ~ 8kg not a lot of leverage if wearing thick suit in the beginning of the dive with a full tank.

Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

One of Eric's freedom plates.

However, wait time, shipping, and single-tank only may be limiting factors for the OP.

However the OP you are not, and the OP is not the only one here man!

full.jpg

How about the versatility of the Freedom Plate

I would caution anyone against buying a wing with only 18lbs lift unless they were specifically purchasing it for warm water diving and knew how much ballast they required and that amouny was not going to change much.

From what you have posted, I recommend at least a 25lb lift wing...but I am partial to slightly larger (30 to 35lbs) as they provide a larger margin should you need more lift due to changes in exposure suit/lead and amount and weight of gear you might be diving with.

The more appropriate solution is to make some calculations of the positive and negative buoyant aspects of your body and gear, then buy a wing that will cover the net max negative you will be.

I dive a drysuit with a 6lb steel plate, a 12l steel tank, a 3l steel pony bottle, 2 old heavy mares mr22 reg sets, and have more than enough lift with my dive rite voyager xt wing (32lbs lift?) And I carry 4 to 10kg of lead depending on how thick my srysuit undergarments are....I dont carry camera gear or other fancy equipment, but I dive enough with new divers that I often have some extra lead with me in case they find they are not wearing enough.

Dont't overthink things to the point of analysis paralysis...better to get in the water and do some diving and experimenting.

-Z

@Zef Thank you!! I think I will go with 25lb, but might have a look at slightly bigger wings in a shop!

bigger than 18lbs but less than 40lbs is a good working range, with the exception noted in my last post for warm water diving.

40lbs + wings are typically of a size where they eclipse the cylinder so much that they do what is known as taco-ing around the cylinder. This makes it difficult to reach the lower dump valve, and the excess material causes drag in the water.

Wings in the 40 to 50lbs lift range are commonly known as hybrid wings where they can be used for single or double cylinders...but hybrid wings don't work well for either. Which is why I recommend less than 40lbs for single cylinders and buy a dedicated wing for double cylinder diving if one eventually goes that route.

Not trying to belabor my point, just want you (the OP) to be informed.

-Z

bigger than 18lbs but less than 40lbs is a good working range, with the exception noted in my last post for warm water diving.

40lbs + wings are typically of a size where they eclipse the cylinder so much that they do what is known as taco-ing around the cylinder. This makes it difficult to reach the lower dump valve, and the excess material causes drag in the water.

Wings in the 40 to 50lbs lift range are commonly known as hybrid wings where they can be used for single or double cylinders...but hybrid wings don't work well for either. Which is why I recommend less than 40lbs for single cylinders and buy a dedicated wing for double cylinder diving if one eventually goes that route.

Not trying to belabor my point, just want you (the OP) to be informed.

-Z
There’s only wing that that I know about that is 40 lbs. lift and considered a streamlined skinny wing, and that is the Oxycheq Mach V 40#. I have one and the inner dimensions are the same as a 30 but the outside is only about 1/2” of 3/4” bigger all the way around to add enough size to make it a 40.
Other than that (AFAIK) the VDH 35 is the other closest thing in that style.

Back
Top Bottom