Advice on Mask, Snorkel, and Finns for scuba and snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dean-K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I am about to purchase Masks, snorkels and Finns for snorkeling and scuba in the midterranian sea (Israel).

Did my HW on all of the above, my current thoughts:
Mask:
Mares I3 for myself.
One of Mares mask's with optics for my dad (wears glasses).

Snorkel:
Silicone mouthpiece, valve for easy clearing, semi-dry or dry to keep the water from inside (midterranian sea can get rough).

Finns:
Since we will be mostly entering from the shore I thought to get open-heel paddle-style finns + diving boots with soles.

Do you need separate boots for summer/winter? I've seen only 5mm boots, no 3mm.

Any additional advice, model recommendations, 2 cents are appreciated, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Your plan for open heel fins with booties is a very good one. Sorry can't help about the 5mm on the booties. That does seem overkill to me. You should also try the booties in the fins before you buy. You'll want to make sure they fit in the foot pocket of the fins.

I like the mask you picked out.

As for the snorkel, some say to get as simple a snorkel as can be. It can be harder to breathe through a snorkel with the cap. Have you and your dad tried any snorkels with and without?

Do you need separate boots for summer/winter? I've seen only 5mm boots, no 3mm.

Hi Dean

I have wear scuba pro 5mm boots along with fins. I dive in boardshorts and a rashie as the water temp is 28-29 degrees C @ 20m. (Thailand). No problem for me. My feet don't overheat!

Mask? As far as I am aware it's a personal preference, ie what fit you best.

Snorkle? I just bought the same brand as my mask. I have found that alot of "experienced" divers apparently don't "need" a snorkel. I like it. As an inexperienced diver it helps me survey the bottom before i descend.

Hi Dean

I have wear scuba pro 5mm boots along with fins. I dive in boardshorts and a rashie as the water temp is 28-29 degrees C @ 20m. (Thailand). No problem for me. My feet don't overheat!

Snorkle? I just bought the same brand as my mask. I have found that alot of "experienced" divers apparently don't "need" a snorkel. I like it. As an inexperienced diver it helps me survey the bottom before i descend.

Not carrying a snorkel has nothing to do with how 'experienced' if a diver you are. Purely personal preference. Plus for some people it can make their mask leak slightly especially with stronger currents and a big bulky snorkel.

Hi Dean

Thanks for the reply :)

The snorkel is for snorkeling and fishing with my dad, he doesn't want to scuba dive. When diving I also never used a snorkel, my instructor didn't think it was necessary.

---------- Post added May 11th, 2014 at 02:30 PM ----------

As for the snorkel, some say to get as simple a snorkel as can be. It can be harder to breathe through a snorkel with the cap. Have you and your dad tried any snorkels with and without?

We haven't tried any yet, if breathing will get uncomfortable I'll drop the idea and go back to basic.

And the boots: when I finished the cert in the red sea I came out of the water with my full finns in my hand and immediately got thrown on the rocks by a wave. That made the decision for me :wink:

Not carrying a snorkel has nothing to do with how 'experienced' if a diver you are. Purely personal preference. Plus for some people it can make their mask leak slightly especially with stronger currents and a big bulky snorkel.

Indeed! I like my snorkel for the reason mentioned. As you say personal preference. :D

Back
Top Bottom