Advice on lift capacity for BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abhijit Roy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi fellow divers!
I am planning to buy a BP&W system and I am struggling to choose the lift capacity for the wing. I am moving from jacket systems to BP&W, so I thought of getting some tips from you folks.
I am 5'9, 155lb NorCal diver. Use 7 mm wetsuit and dive with 22lbs on a jacket BC. What would sufficient lift capacity that I should look for?
Also, I want to travel with it and I do dive in tropics too. I don't want extra capacity if that is not needed (seems that creates extra drag).
Please let me know.
I did like HOG Total Buoyancy Control System Package,DiveRite Transpac, Hollis L.T.S. Light Travel System and DRIS Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package. DRIS system seems to provide both lift capacity as and when needed.
Anyone has any experience or preference between these?

Thanks again
Abhi

Hi fellow divers!
I am planning to buy a BP&W system and I am struggling to choose the lift capacity for the wing. I am moving from jacket systems to BP&W, so I thought of getting some tips from you folks.
I am 5'9, 155lb NorCal diver. Use 7 mm wetsuit and dive with 22lbs on a jacket BC. What would sufficient lift capacity that I should look for?
Also, I want to travel with it and I do dive in tropics too. I don't want extra capacity if that is not needed (seems that creates extra drag).
Please let me know.
I did like HOG Total Buoyancy Control System Package,DiveRite Transpac, Hollis L.T.S. Light Travel System and DRIS Mirage 23/38lb BP/W Package. DRIS system seems to provide both lift capacity as and when needed.
Anyone has any experience or preference between these?

Thanks again
Abhi

My singles wing is 30lbs

R..

Call DSS. Talk to Tobin. Heed his advice.

I use a 25 pound wing. Plenty of lift with a HP100. Balance is good was able to easily swim it up from 40 feet after a lp inflator malfunction. Mine is from DGX.

I am going to disagree with the chorus. First, there is nothing magical or complicated about wing lift. Your wing needs to be able to float your rig without you in it and have enough capacity to compensate for wetsuit compression. If you are going tropical then 18-25 lb are usually recommended, for colder water then 30-40 lb. If you want to do both cold water and tropical then I would recommend a 30 lb. However you may need to move some weight off the harness and on to yourself (weight belt) because you are using 22 lbs of lead, your tank (if an AL 80) is 3 lb negative when full and the regs and d-rings may add another 3 lbs so you are cutting it close. Your BC has some inherent buoyancy so you may not need the full 22 lbs with a BP/W. Again this is a may you could be fine. At 30 lbs of lift suit compression should not be an issue.

While DSS has its fans, I am not one of them. While Tobin does have some good ideas, the wings are non-standard. The LCD series is a horseshoe style wing which is the only single tank horseshoe wing I am aware of other that the Zeagle Express Tech. The Torus series is a donut style wing but there is no access to the inner bladder. If you puncture it then you need to send it back to DSS for repair. This may be ok in the US but if you puncture in somewhere else you are going to need to rent or purchase a new BC. The build quality is fine but I don't find it any better than most other wings on the market.

I have not seen the DRIS or dived it. I will only make two comments. First, a 15 mil bladder is kind of thin, DSS's is 30 mil I think. Second they vary the capacity of the wing by giving you two covers. Usually a wing becomes harder to vent the more oversize the bladder is to the cover. DRIS may have solved that problem.

I am going to disagree with the chorus. First, there is nothing magical or complicated about wing lift. Your wing needs to be able to float your rig without you in it and have enough capacity to compensate for wetsuit compression. If you are going tropical then 18-25 lb are usually recommended, for colder water then 30-40 lb. If you want to do both cold water and tropical then I would recommend a 30 lb. However you may need to move some weight off the harness and on to yourself (weight belt) because you are using 22 lbs of lead, your tank (if an AL 80) is 3 lb negative when full and the regs and d-rings may add another 3 lbs so you are cutting it close. Your BC has some inherent buoyancy so you may not need the full 22 lbs with a BP/W. Again this is a may you could be fine. At 30 lbs of lift suit compression should not be an issue.

While DSS has its fans, I am not one of them. While Tobin does have some good ideas, the wings are non-standard. The LCD series is a horseshoe style wing which is the only single tank horseshoe wing I am aware of other that the Zeagle Express Tech. The Torus series is a donut style wing but there is no access to the inner bladder. If you puncture it then you need to send it back to DSS for repair. This may be ok in the US but if you puncture in somewhere else you are going to need to rent or purchase a new BC. The build quality is fine but I don't find it any better than most other wings on the market.

I have not seen the DRIS or dived it. I will only make two comments. First, a 15 mil bladder is kind of thin, DSS's is 30 mil I think. Second they vary the capacity of the wing by giving you two covers. Usually a wing becomes harder to vent the more oversize the bladder is to the cover. DRIS may have solved that problem.

Thank you for such detailed explanation. makes a lot of sense. As I also dive a lot outside US, repair is also a consideration, which I haven't thought before. Based on all the suggestions, now I am between HOG & OMS IQ. Both provide 32lb lift, comparable price point. I am in the BP&W rabbit hole..LOL

30 to 40 is common in colder water, but you might be able to get away with the 25lb dgx wing. i think moobin runs a 24lb zeagle express tech with his 7mm.

Back
Top Bottom