Advice on lift capacity for BP&W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

30 is really pushing it. I used to dive the same setup as you. I am also of similar size and weight. I went from a knighthawk to a bp/w. At first I ran a 30 lbs wing. With a semi dry suit I needed exactly 20 lbs to sink with a steel 100. With weighted sta and all I only had to carry 4lbs of lead. While nice, here is your warning. Suit compression is not a joke. While in saltwater it was suitable, in freshwater it was not even close. I jumped in a quarry and had to shoot a bag and pull myself up. I sold that 30 and bought a 40lb wing. That gave me the lift I needed. I also bit the bullet and bought a drysuit. Now I no longer have lift issues. The true difference between a 30 and 40 is so negligible that you won't be able to tell. I would say 34 to 36 would be the minimum you should buy.

Now if you switch to a drysuit, you could get away with a lighter wing if you use the suit for buoyancy. A drysuit can be expensive, but there are deals to be had. Search eBay weekly. I have picked up 2 really nice ones over the years for less than $500.

Good luck, dive safe.
Thanks! Fresh water is a concern. I am planning to go to Yucatan for diving the cenotes. So, thanks for bringing that perspective! I started diving drysuit sometime back but went back to semi-dry/wetsuits. I just couldn't wait that long to relieve myself..LOL But it does make sense from the buoyancy perspective :)

@swimlikethefish he is correct. Displacement is displacement regardless of what medium. The wing has more "pounds" of lift in salt water than it does in fresh water because the mass of the water is larger. Wetsuit compression is a function of a change in total displacement and if your wing can compensate for that displacement in one salinity level, it can in the other
I agree. Lift is proportional to the density of the fluid ( Mr. Archimedes realized it). Salt water in general 2.5% denser than fresh water. So, one would lose lift based on that proportion and wetsuit compression will add to that. IMHO

If you properly weight yourself like stated earlier you could get away with a 30lb wing in fresh and saltwater. I made a personal choice and bought a wing that had more than ample lift for either. Most of my weight is integrated so ditching is not a real option. Most donut style single tank wings are pretty streamlined. So the difference between a 30 and a 40 isn't that big of a deal.

Again this is personal preference. Everyone has their own style. That is what I chose to dive with. I usually do not change anything between fresh and salt. I dive the same setup. With exclusion of doubles. I use Worthington for salt and Faber for fresh water due to the buoyancy characteristics of the tanks. To each his own though, do your research and find what will work best for you.

Dive safe.

I agree with @ams511. I had a complete DSS rig (SS plate and LCD30 wing). Sold it. Don't miss it.

For single tank BP/W, I now have a Freedom Contour plate (awesome, if you can find one) and a HOG 23# wing. Awesome rig. The Freedom plate is seriously a handmade work of stainless steel art.

For cold water wings, I would look at the HOG 32 or the Deep6 Gear 30. Or, surprisingly perhaps, from what I've seen here, it sounds like Mares might be making some nice, very streamlined wings now. I think they're called the XR series(?).

All that said, I got a ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD about 2 months ago or so and I have switched all my single tank diving (which isn't saying much, really) to that. I like it better than any BP/W I have used. It's stupid expensive and I would never buy one at full price. But, I teach for a dive shop, so I got mine at the employee discount price and for that, it's great.

I have a Blue Reef SS BP ($70 from LeisurePro) and Dive Rite wings for diving doubles. The BR/DR setup for doubles works great!

Thanks! Fresh water is a concern. I am planning to go to Yucatan for diving the cenotes. So, thanks for bringing that perspective! I started diving drysuit sometime back but went back to semi-dry/wetsuits. I just couldn't wait that long to relieve myself..LOL But it does make sense from the buoyancy perspective :)
You may want to consider this rig: http://www.xdeep.eu/lightweight-diving-bcd-ghost-specification-ps-51.html
I am very happy with mine. 37lbs of lift. I use it in cold water with drysuit and 7mm wetsuit, as well as in the tropics. Super versatile.
Nice and light for traveling. You can add weight pockets to it that will accommodate 12 lbs in each pocket. You can also add cam band trim pockets, if so desired. Here in California, Eco Dive Center near the LAX airport is a distributor. I was able to lose 8 lbs in lead when I switched from my jacket style BC to this rig- due to inherent buoyancy differences/characteristics.

You may want to consider this rig: http://www.xdeep.eu/lightweight-diving-bcd-ghost-specification-ps-51.html
I am very happy with mine. 37lbs of lift. I use it in cold water with drysuit and 7mm wetsuit, as well as in the tropics. Super versatile.
Nice and light for traveling. You can add weight pockets to it that will accommodate 12 lbs in each pocket. You can also add cam band trim pockets, if so desired. Here in California, Eco Dive Center near the LAX airport is a distributor. I was able to lose 8 lbs in lead when I switched from my jacket style BC to this rig- due to inherent buoyancy differences/characteristics.
Nice! Will look into it. Coincidentally enough, Eco Dive Center certified me for my OW and AOW. Super cool folks and I am still in touch with them. Will ping them about this BP&W.

Nice! Will look into it. Coincidentally enough, Eco Dive Center certified me for my OW and AOW. Super cool folks and I am still in touch with them. Will ping them about this BP&W.
You will have the option of neutrally buoyant padded shoulder straps with quick release buckles or a non quick release version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom