Advice on "less" expensive dive computers with transmitters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Sean! I had narrowed it down to the Atom 3 and the Tusa Zen Air. I had found both online for the same price, but the Atom may have been a typo (or not supposed to include the transmitter). Anyway, my LDS was kind enough to beat the price on a Zen Air so I just got it yesterday. I think either would have been a good choice so I got the Tusa since it cost less and had good reviews. By the way, I initially said the Atom 3 had bad reviews, but I found two different listings on LeisurePro - one that had just one review (a bad review) and another that had multiple reviews (good). Thanks all,
--Kyle

I like the hoseless, just one less thing to get in the way. What ever you buy, beware of the P.O.S. Cochran computers. I have had one 4 years and it has spent more time in the shop than in the water. My particular one had that pesky habit of becouimg disfunctional during my at home predive checks though it did crap out at night on a wreck dive. My $350 puck computer has far out performed the cochran to the point I would dive with the both of them because while I hoped the cochran would work I couldn't trust it with my life and health.

Being one that is fluent in complaints or critisism when something or someone doesn't perform as advertised I aalso speak up for good performance or service. I have to say my critism of the cochran wireless computer may have been at least slightly incorrect. As it turns out some of the probelms Ihad recently was actually due to the wireless design. I learned from the Cochran tech, Larry, if I have the wrist unit too close to the tank unit they don't communicate very well. If the dive computer is too close to a lap top the Cochran also does communicate very well (read not all) so once I separated the two units and turned my lap top off the Cochran worked fine. My next dive trip, 6 dives in one day shallow and deep, the my Cochran seemed to work great. I do like the wireless computers because I don't like the SPG hose.

I want to also say despite my aggravations that seem more not knowing the slight nuances of the computer than a computer problem I cant say enough good things about the support I get from these guys. When I looked like my computer was kaput they got on the phone with me and worked out the problems but also offered to send me a replacement computer to take with me on my upcoming trip to the Keys wheil they worked on my unit. Thanks guys.

Divelvr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom