Advice on fins please ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Atomic Splits and will never get rid of them. However, I'm about to buy a pair of SP Seawing Novas but I'm not really sure why.

I love my Atomic Splits and will never get rid of them. However, I'm about to buy a pair of SP Seawing Novas but I'm not really sure why.

One day I'll buy some Atomic splits for the same reason you're buying Novas lol. I have some Gorillas, I like them, very light and very comfortable and seem to handle currents and most kick styles just fine.

I only have a few dives under my belt, but every one was done in a pair of splits. My first few were done in a pair of Apollo Bio Pro's, I did 2 dives with a pair of Atomic Split's, and did a few more with the Bio Pro's. If you want a pair of splits, the Apollo Bio's are amazing.
The rumor about there only being 1 kick style for splits is false, you can use other kicking styles without any issues.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended), new to the world of diving. I have just started getting bits and pieces of equipment together like my Cressi Big Eyes Evo Mask and my Cressi Dry Snorkel but no fins yet, as there's too much choice! :-(

I would like some good all-rounders - that I can wear with or without boots, in cold or warm water, etc., etc. I would also rather pay out a good amount of money to get fins that are going to last and do a job. I have read a million reviews and am now more confused! I LOVE the Mares X-Streams but think they're probably more than what I need. The more I read, the more the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus pop up...can anybody shed any light, for us beginners :)

Paul

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended), new to the world of diving. I have just started getting bits and pieces of equipment together like my Cressi Big Eyes Evo Mask and my Cressi Dry Snorkel but no fins yet, as there's too much choice! :-(

I would like some good all-rounders - that I can wear with or without boots, in cold or warm water, etc., etc. I would also rather pay out a good amount of money to get fins that are going to last and do a job. I have read a million reviews and am now more confused! I LOVE the Mares X-Streams but think they're probably more than what I need. The more I read, the more the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus pop up...can anybody shed any light, for us beginners :)

Paul

Unless you have particularly weathered/leathered feat you're unlike to find fins that can be worn both with or without boots, its generally one or the other. I'm not sure what you mean by saying the X-streams are more than you need other than the price lol. If you "love" them why not buy them? You only live once.

The reason I am going for the best gear is for the confidence factor and abilities to perform well in unlikely situations.

Your choices may be the most expensive but not necessarily the best. Ability to perform well has little to do with equipment and more to do with skill and education. Spend your money on training and getting experience then the gear choices get real easy. For what its worth, I use Scuba Pro Jets for all my diving. The linked video may be helpful.

UTD Equipment Fins - YouTube

If you're going to stay in a light wet suit(not likely for long in the UK), you'll might want to avoid more negative fins like the Jets, since they will be trying to full your feet down. When I'm diving in a wet suit, I like the lighter OMS Slipstreams, better for my trim, but stiff and maneuverable, good for the non-silting, precise positioning kicks. I use Jets when diving dry, and am about to try out the Hollis F1s. (None of these are split fins!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom