Advice on diving West Palm Beach and/or Boynton Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lotty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everybody,
I will be traveling to West Palm Beach next week, for work. On my day off I would like to have some underwatertime. ­ I’ve never been diving in The States before, so I’m very excited to do so :)
Could you please help me out with some advice on what operator to choose? Because of a back-issue I need to gear up at the end of the boat, sitting. I’m not allowed to stand or walk with my gear on. My dad is always with me when we go diving, so even when we’re in a large group I know I’m fine because he’s there to back me up. This time however, for the first time ever, I’m by myself. That’s why I’m looking for an operator that 1. always has a DM in the water, 2. Don’t take large groups and 3. has a helpfull staff. I’ve heard about the Scuba Club, is that OK?

During my dive I would really love to go to Breakers Reef and the Flower Gardens, but I guess I just have to wait and see if I’m lucky right? Or can you actually make a request? I’m not the wreckdiving type. I only have one, maybe two afternoons off, so because of that I would like to check the reefs out rather than do a wreckdive.
Besides WPB I’ve also been told that Boynton has some nice sites. Which reefs are nice and not that deep (<18m.) ? Or are the reefs there all deeper than the ones at WPB? I heard that Splashdown Divers is an operator that is nice to go with while diving in that area.

I hope you guys can give me some advice on all the above, I would really, really appreciate it.
Many thanks and best wishes,
Lotty

I read about Kevin online, all sounds great! But when I'm looking at the boat, I don't see a platform to sit on before going in... I can't go in by stairs with gear on and putting it on in the water is terrible with currents and waves, did that in Kenya --> never ever again. Now what :( ?

Any advice on West Palm Beach-operators? Kevin is at Boynton right? I can't go home without seeing Breakers or Flower Garden first, haha! I noticed that the Scuba Club only does 2-tankdives on friday, if I'm not mistaking. That's the day I'm most busy :( Any suggestions on WPB :) ?

I read about Kevin online, all sounds great! But when I'm looking at the boat, I don't see a platform to sit on before going in... I can't go in by stairs with gear on and putting it on in the water is terrible with currents and waves, did that in Kenya --> never ever again. Now what :( ?

Any advice on West Palm Beach-operators? Kevin is at Boynton right? I can't go home without seeing Breakers or Flower Garden first, haha! I noticed that the Scuba Club only does 2-tankdives on friday, if I'm not mistaking. That's the day I'm most busy :( Any suggestions on WPB :) ?

Back-roll entry. It's a sweet way to splash!!

You mentioned preferring to dive in smaller groups which is a good idea. The group diving (one guide leading many divers) tends to start
in West Palm Beach and prevails in Jupiter. Boynton uses smaller groups and it is the divers (sometimes crews) job to make sure you are in
a suitable group based on your needs and abilities. There are many charters in Boynton that are standard type dive boats with large platforms
and usually set up I believe for 12 to 18 divers. They hand out flags to each group and staying with four or less in a group is the norm although
more would be allowed if that is the choice of a larger group. Other options in Boynton all at the same dock are Pelican Charters (an old favorite of
mine) and also Loggerhead Charters.

Regarding the question on the Scuba Club: I've seen them accomodate divers with similar issues that you have. They don't use a ladder, but rather a swim platform in which you 'beach' your self like a whale when your done with the dive: depending on your back injury, that may make it much easier or much harder to get back on the boat. As you mentioned, SC does send down several DMs.

I also think Underwater Explorers is a good option if you can do a back roll off the side of the boat.

This time of year when the boats are not as busy and generally there fewer divers on the boat compared to the summer, I've seen Jupiter Dive Center also accomodate divers like yourself. My bet is many operators would probably work with you during this non-busy time of year.

Lotty. I have never dove with anyone in WPB that I did not like. I love diving with Narcosis, it's a great boat and a great crew. Typically, most of the divers are experienced but I have seen novices on board and the crew has very helpful with them. They do tend to go to sites that are a little deeper. It is a bigger boat but they tend to split the groups up based on dive plan. I've never seen more than 6 to 7 per group. I've even known them to put a guide to lead and a DM to trail if the group is larger. Talk to Captain Van.

Scuba Diving West Palm Beach Florida with Narcosis Dive Charters

Jim Abernathy's boat Deep Obsession is another good boat and crew. Again, a larger boat but if you are the first to sign up I know they will let you request the dive sites (request it when you call) and will dive those sites as long as the conditions allow. I've seen more novice divers on this boat and they tend to dive more conservatively in my opinion.

Bahamas & Palm Beach, Florida Scuba Diving :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures

I also like Walker Dive Charters. Captain Bill.

Scuba Diving in the Palm Beach area - Walkers Dive Charters

I'm sure any of these would be able to give you a good dive. I would definitely let them know your needs. And I'm sure any could arrange a private DM as well if you felt you needed it.

Hope this helps.

Second on Walkers! We went out with them last weekend... Great crew and DM... Awesome Captain and sweet boat with nice big dive platform. They are very helpful and accommodating!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom