Advice on cheapest dive classes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carl1864

New
Reaction score
So I live in the seattle area, and have never scuba dived but want to. Right now the biggest thing holding me back is cost. I'm recently layed off work, so I have the time to do it, but any money is going to come out of savings. And also confusion over prices, what all is included in the courses etc. There always seem to be all these extra costs, for gear and books, etc. I mean, why can't the school just have books that you borrow, or even free downloadable e-books?

Can anyone recommend the best school around here to take the dive classes for the cheapest total price? But still be good classes. I know a couple people have said cheaper is not always the way to go, but for me its either I find a good price or just put it off for another 5 years. Any help finding a good place to take the lessons would be much appreciative. I have a buddy who is in about the exact same boat, he's interested, but is also broke. He might be able to come along if that would help with any quantity discount. I also don't think I would need to own the books, I could just use the schools (if there was a school that doesn't force you to buy them).

Any recommendations? Or any advice I need to know about going to a cheaper school, and getting started in this sport on a tight budget?

Thanks.

The only way I know to cut costs without cutting out the important training comes in two steps:

First is to first research your area for "good instructors," then talk with them about lowering "your price" if you do the leg work putting together a decent size class for the instructor. It might be a lowering of everybody's price, or you might get better than the others, but at least it should lower; even at dive shops.

Second is to find training that does not require buying too much gear too soon. There are some divers that go "all in," and many of them do just fine buying 1,000-2,000 dollars worth of gear during OW training. Some buy mask, snorkel, fins, probably booties and maybe even a wet or dry suit. That can still be easy $200 just for m,s,f&b; hundreds to a grand for the suits.

There are training locations that include all gear in a reasonably priced package; books should be included as well. Then if your formative diving will be near rental locations, like in my neighborhood, a full set rents for ~$45 with a tank of air, $55 with a computer, extra tanks of air as low as $4 each. Weekly gear rental is $170 (no computer) and a 10 tank "card" is $40, so for less tha the cost of a pair of Apollo split fins you could make 10 shore dives (a buddy with some knowledge of the sites would be nice as well).

Carl, for a really reasonable deal in the Seattle area I'd check out Evergreen Dive Services in Everett. They're a fairly new shop but the owner, Norm is a great guy and has been instructing for years. You can get certified in a drysuit (which is a big deal around here) including all your personal gear (mask, fins, snorkel, hood, boots, gloves) and books for $349 total. Hard to beat if you ask me.
BTW I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just there a lot for fills as they're the closest shop to me. Their number is (425) 512 - eight eight one one

if cost is a issue because of your not working,then I have to say get a job first then worry about learning to dive.If you go ahead and learn to dive now when are you able to use these new skills if you cannot afford to go out and dive and keep these skills fresh?
Usually cost of course is just that,the cost of the course.To participate most require a commitment of time and money.Cannot make the commitment then wait till you can.
Simple mask-fins-snorkel-boots are not that big a commitment in dollars.Requirement of a text is because diving is an ongoing process and you will need text /rdp /log book to keep up to date and be able to plan your dives.A crewpack(rdp-log book-text) and dvd for a course usually runs about $95.Simple required gear can be $200.+.Course can be $200-+.. the 4 required training dives,another $150.-$250.

if cost is a issue because of your not working,then I have to say get a job first then worry about learning to dive.If you go ahead and learn to dive now when are you able to use these new skills if you cannot afford to go out and dive and keep these skills fresh?

Carl1864,

I have to admire you for wanting to chase you dream while you have some free time but I have to agree that training is the tip of the iceberg. Unless you have access to the gear to remain active it will all be for naught.

I can't give you any advice on your local situation. I will say that there is a world of learning you can do here on ScubaBoard and and in other print and online media. Start visiting the dive shop and getting the FREE monthly edition of Dive Training magazine. It will have a nice mix of instruction, gear adds and articles as well as destination features. Ask if they have a stack of back issues. The long form articles on basic skills and considerations will be a huge head start.

If you happen to have any gear available you can dip your toe (or face) into the world of diving with some skin-diving. Learning to master that gear will pay off in spades when the cash starts happening and you can follow through. What you can see and do from the surface with an occasional pike down will wet your appetite for a while.

Good luck in all that lies ahead.
Pete

When I started diving cost was also a big concern.

My OW class was a birthday gift from my Wife and after I got that I asked for gift certs from my local LDS for Christmas, my birthday and father's day. When I bought my wetsuit and reg (at different times) I literally walked in my LDS with a handful of gift certs for anywhere from $20 to $100.

You might want to try the same tack to get your initial lessons if that is possible for you.
In the meantime I would recommend joining your local Masters swim program or even just getting as much pool time as possible.
Is it the same as diving? No, but it will make you a lot more comfortable in the water.

Good luck with getting started, you're going to enter a wonderful world underwater.

If you really want to dive don't listen to the naysayers. You can get certified for 350 bucks and rent gear once in a while until you can piece together a set. Here in the PNW we have awesome FREE shore diving so no need to pay for charter boats, quarry fees etc. In fact, you can put together a set of decent used SCUBA gear off of Craigslist for less than $1,000 including exposure protection. Once you own your gear your only costs are $5-6 for an air fill and the gas it takes to drive to the dive site.

If you really want to dive don't listen to the naysayers.

I am afraid I am another naysayer. Scuba diving is seriously damaging to your wealth. If you are under financial strain at the moment, now may not be the best time.

Sorry, but better you know now than after sinking a bunch of cash on training.

Good advice.
You can't really duck the OW costs but there may be others in your area who can help out with gear etc... in the short term. Begin making a pest of yourself at the LDS and attend some scuba club meetings. If you are enthusiastic but funds limited there may others who will take the time to mentor/outfit you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom