Advice on cheapest dive classes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Books are required because they want you to have the book available to refer to on an ongoing basis, and also because that's one of the main ways the certification agency makes money (the training materials don't develop themselves.) And believe it or not, certification classes actually tend to be priced inexpensively for what you get. Most shops actually make their money on selling you gear. Some places sell cheap classes then actually REQUIRE certain gear purchases from them as part of the deal, or at least get extremely ticked off if you don't.

Do you have a budget in mind for this? Diving costs money, there's no getting around it. With care and effort it's possible to do it on a budget, but there are limits. You're going to have to pay for your class and materials. You can shop around for a good deal on a course and should keep an eye on what it includes, but you really do want to make sure it's a good class and not just cheap for a reason. And the lower the advertised price of the class, the more likely some things aren't included - materials, rental gear, perhaps fees for the OW dives, the admin cost to submit the paperwork and get the cert card itself - there's just no free lunch.

You're usually going to have to acquire whatever personal gear is not supplied or rented for various reasons. Exactly what is considered "personal" gear will vary from place to place, but I'd avoid anyplace that insists you buy stuff that's not part of the local norm or clearly "padding." Some classes include use of the other gear, others rent it for your training dives for hopefully a pretty good price.

Once you're certified you will have to rent or buy gear to continue diving. Rentals add up quick. You can slowly acquire gear. Look for sales and deals, you really don't need the most expensive toys, but buying anything just because it's cheap will usually backfire on you. Maybe find some good deals used (takes knowledge and patience.) Maybe you can borrow a few things. But it's still going to cost money. If you can't afford to do this, there isn't much point in getting certified right now, as without practice you will forget a lot of what you learned. You might consider taking up skindiving for now instead as suggested, but you're still going to need some things.

You might also want to look around for a Discover Scuba session. These can be pretty inexpensive, or sometimes even free to get people in the door. It will give you some idea if you will even like SCUBA before putting any more money into it. Some people decide they just don't like it after all, or find out they have problems with their ears or something and have difficulty diving.

So I live in the seattle area, and have never scuba dived but want to. Right now the biggest thing holding me back is cost. I'm recently layed off work, so I have the time to do it, but any money is going to come out of savings. And also confusion over prices, what all is included in the courses etc. There always seem to be all these extra costs, for gear and books, etc. I mean, why can't the school just have books that you borrow, or even free downloadable e-books?

Can anyone recommend the best school around here to take the dive classes for the cheapest total price? But still be good classes. I know a couple people have said cheaper is not always the way to go, but for me its either I find a good price or just put it off for another 5 years. Any help finding a good place to take the lessons would be much appreciative. I have a buddy who is in about the exact same boat, he's interested, but is also broke. He might be able to come along if that would help with any quantity discount. I also don't think I would need to own the books, I could just use the schools (if there was a school that doesn't force you to buy them).

Any recommendations? Or any advice I need to know about going to a cheaper school, and getting started in this sport on a tight budget?

Thanks.

I am a dive instructor in your area ... and my advice is do not choose a class based strictly on price. Sure, there are some inexpensive dive classes being offered ... but dive shops who offer classes on the cheap are using them as "loss leaders" in order to get you into their shop, where they will pressure you into purchasing gear at high margins in order to make up the cost. Just the "personal gear" they require you to have (mask, fins and snorkel) can run you more than the original cost of the class ... then they'll tack on other costs like student kits and even the price of your certification card. Often you won't even know about those costs until the class is underway, and by then you're committed.

So when shopping around, always ask what is included in the quoted price, and what else you'll need in order to complete the class and receive your certification.

"All inclusive" classes will quote you a higher price, but will include everything ... the one Matt mentioned is a very reasonable price as long as it covers ALL of your expenses, such as student materials, necessary equipment, and certification fees.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. That is not always the case ... but keep in mind that a cut-rate deal on a class will usually mean it's being provided as a cut-rate service ... and ask yourself if cutting corners on the quality of your diving education is really a good idea.

There's a thread at the top of this forum called "How to Find an Excellent SCUBA Class" ... to get a better idea what to consider when choosing an instructor, please read the first post in that thread.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ya gotta be into it mate. Books are for learning where you don't learn much and then for referencing where you start learning. Last few months, Cressi Piuma mask with case and sand mint $5. Snorkel mint, throw away mask $5. Atomic splits top of the line, booties and cheap catch bag not a scatch mint $40. Beauchat hood EC $10. Seatec semi dry EC $50. USD Conshelf 21, occto, Dacor gauges VGC didn't need a rebuild but I did it anyways $55. Dacor Enduro BC EC $55. Aladdin Pro air wrist minus battery works $12. Oceanic basic nitrox comp basically new $80. Belt with plenty of weights $15. Faber 80 out of test $130. All this stuff came from markets, Vinnies, junk shops, hock shops, papers and Ebay.
We have 20+ million people here you have 15 times that, Current ebay figures scuba snorkelling, Aust 1466 items, USA 28,295. Variations of this stuff is available now for a similar end price, or more. Doing stuff when you are between jobs is good. Scuba is the best of the best. Scooba is not the best of anything. The good thing is that when you become hooked it gives you more incentive to replenish your savings so you can buy more geer bear gear.
Go diving NOW.

You might consider taking up skindiving for now instead as suggested, but you're still going to need some things.

Great advice actually. Skin diving (snorkelling) or freediving would be a great way to break into the game and aquire some of the equipment needed. It is also an undervalued activity in its own rite. You can see/do a lot with a 7mm wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel, small knife and weightbelt.

I was an avid skin diver for years before taking the plunge into SCUBA and I often still just take snorkelling gear when I go to the Gulf islands for family vacations.

BTW, I think "skindiving" was a term originally given to SCUBA divers as opposed to the full dress helmet divers of the time (1940's-1950's). As SCUBA outpaced helmet diving, skindiving began to be used to refer to what we now call snorkellers or freedivers. I could stand to be corrected but I think I got that right.

Three things never to buy because they are "the cheapest you can find"

• Shoes
  • Haircuts
  • Scuba classes

Three things never to buy because they are "the cheapest you can find"

• Shoes
  • Haircuts
  • Scuba classes

Never is a strong word. Some of my best training has been the cheapest (BSAC Sports Diver, BSAC Dive Leader), through my dive club :) About $70 each, for the materials and they were miles better than the expensive OW+AOW classes I had done. Independent clubs are awesome.

I also buy the cheapest shoes I can find and my boyfriend or mother cuts my hair for free.

So, I guess what I am saying is I dislike your list. :)

At least you got your money's worth out of it.

:crafty:

I think you owe me some money actually...

:wink:

Ok, well I was just making the point that you don't have to go through a shop for training, or perhaps it does not work that way where the OP is. Independent clubs like BSAC ones or perhaps university clubs are often a lot cheaper for training (but might take longer) and high quality training is possible. And then they have gear and things you can borrow. I know one guy who did over 100 dives just using gear borrowed from experienced divers who had spares. Also I have a friend who only owns a wetsuit, mask and fins and borrows my singles kit when we go out diving. I end up diving in twin 100cf in less than ten metres of water which is a real PITA but I know he can't afford his own gear and can only do shore dives so I don't mind doing this. There are lots of people who are generous with gear around.

Otherwise go the cheapest and nastiest course you can find, but find a good buddy after the course to teach you what you missed out on.

I think you owe me some money actually...

:wink:

Ok, well I was just making the point that you don't have to go through a shop for training, or perhaps it does not work that way where the OP is. Independent clubs like BSAC ones or perhaps university clubs are often a lot cheaper for training (but might take longer) and high quality training is possible. And then they have gear and things you can borrow. I know one guy who did over 100 dives just using gear borrowed from experienced divers who had spares. Also I have a friend who only owns a wetsuit, mask and fins and borrows my singles kit when we go out diving. I end up diving in twin 100cf in less than ten metres of water which is a real PITA but I know he can't afford his own gear and can only do shore dives so I don't mind doing this. There are lots of people who are generous with gear around.

Otherwise go the cheapest and nastiest course you can find, but find a good buddy after the course to teach you what you missed out on.

Thats correct alot of my dive team has extra gear here and there and sometimes piece together the extras for one good set of gear for less fortunate divers. I mean I look at it kind of like this. If your extra gear just sit around its not doing anyone no good. When you rent gear all you do is line someones pocket so why not let people borrow gear here and there.

I have quiet a few certs through PADI but I have found self education by trial and error and great mentors to help learn can truely be a blast and free also :)

Are you looking to buy your own gear or rent each time? I ran across a freaking awesome deal when I started (bc, 3 regs, 3 al tanks, old wetsuit, dive bag for $250). The guy I bought it from was a friends boss and was getting out of diving. The tanks I bought lasted a year and then the hydro expired and because they were 20 year old al80s hardly anyone will fill them, so I had to buy new ones... the regs are all old sherwoods, and I was able to get parts for one and have it rebuilt. The bc is a nice bc and is probably still worth what I paid for the entire package, my point is that deals are out there! Try craigslist or eBay and just get the stuff checked over by the instructor you end up going with....you may even find an instructor on craigslist too. Do you have any skills to barter? If so see if they are needed by a local lds. Basically if you want it bad enough...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom